iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Viven2, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Viven2 macrumors newbie

Okays, my birthday is coming up and it's my sweet 16th. So, apparently I can get something big for my birthday. I have a history with iPods; iPod Shuffle G1, iPod Photo, iPod Video, iPod Classic, iPod Touch G1 and iPhone 3G and I'm thinking I should continue this history with the iPad. But, my iPhone 3G screen is cracked, broken and does not feature a video camera. I've also wanted a MacBook for a very long time. So, I don't know which one I should get?

I need advice for the best thing to get, example; pros and cons, anyones previous experiences with these products, ect. Thanks a bunch guys :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, you already have an iPhone which works okay I guess so IMO, I would get a MacBook if you don't have a computer of your own at the moment. iPad is just big iTouch IMO so it can't replace a good ol' computer

3. jsgrabo macrumors regular

In my opinion, if you need a new computer, by all means go for the macbook. If you really need a new phone, go for the iphone. Essentially, again in my opinion, that's what it comes down to. If your iphone is "workable", then go for the macbook. If my iphone, even with a cracked screen, still functioned, I would go for the macbook. I haven't upgraded to the 3GS because I do not care that much about the feature difference between that and the 3G which I currently have. Considering your birthday is imminent, I would go for the macbook. To the best of my knowledge/experience, the iPhone is expected to be updated in June. Assuming that your not going to hold out until then for a birthday present, go for the macbook. If you are not in need of a new laptop and can deal your current "fractured iPhone", then go for an iPad. I've been using mine since it arrived and I have no complaints yet. On the other hand, if your birthday request is really "big", then ask for that car you've been eyeing. That's what I did. :) As much as I love apple, New car > Apple product.

4. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Get what ever you NEED most.
    Then again, as its a gift i might go for the priciest... it would be easier to save up for an iphone over a Macbook

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You left out the most important piece of info in helping us help you decide: are you hot? A hot 16 year old should be able to get all three, right guys?!? giggity giggity OK, joking, don't get me kicked off for being a dirty middle aged dude. Here's the serious answer from a dad: If you are getting the big gift from your parents, go for the expensive MacBook. Of course, wait a month, see if the new ones come out. You probably are getting a party thrown for you, too, right? Make sure your guests know that ALL you want for your big sweet 16 is Apple Gift cards. Use those to buy the ipad. Anything left over, wait until the summer and buy a new iphone.

or just get an older boyfriend and have him buy you all three... ;)

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Ok, that was kinda creepy.

The three devices you list are so different. So the question is, what will you use it for? The iPhone is the only one you can put in a pocket and take anywhere without even thinking about it, and that makes it most valuable for me. But only because I often don't carry a bag and don't need to do a lot of work on the go.

Also, I disagree with the people saying get the most expensive because it's s gift. Don't waste your parents' money; get what will be most useful to you.

7. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Macbook are also supposedly meant to be updated at some point, possibly even June also at this rate.

8. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Pretty. Damn. Creepy. Message. Intentional or not.

9. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Haha, yes that is the word!

10. Viven2 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank guys, btw I forgot to include that my birth is on June the 3rd if that helped with anything.. :)

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Rumors are showing that MBP update is imminent. The latest one posted today already indicates that Apple has shipped them to resellers which means that update is due in very near future (=next tuesday?). COULD be just another rumor but that's IMO pretty significant.

Before June, I'm sure there has already been an update so you might want to revive this thread after update. iPhone is coming later on in June as WWDC is held late June this year (kicks off 28th I guess)

12. JNickyJJ macrumors member

being 16 your school work is gonna start getting pretty important [​IMG] with that in mind, definately the macbook. Plus you can fix a cracked screen on an iPhone for around £60 ($100?)

13. ericksgotmac macrumors regular

I have fixed cracked screens/glass on iPhones for under $50 with tools included from kits that are sold on eBay. The only tricky part is being careful not to break the Home button and making sure the adhesive strips are applied correctly.

14. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Get the MacBook for your birthday , then save up for the iPhone ( but get the new one this year ) , then save up for the iPad ( but i would get the second generation )

Good plan , huh? :rolleyes:

15. Viven2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, since my birthday is in 2-3 weeks, I'm re-opening this! Now since last time I posted, the iPad has been released. Now, is there a new generation coming in June of iPods/iPhones/Macs? Suggestions please!

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

This summer will bring new iphones. The macbook pros were just updated and the ipad just came out, so there probably won't be anything new for those machines for another year. According to this site, new macbook are coming real soon.

17. EasyJW macrumors member

the macbook air seems the most useful in my opinion for you [​IMG] you admit you have an iPhone which is basically a small iPad with calls and texts so is it really neccessary? plus the price of an mba would be more then an iphone and ipad

18. Viven2 thread starter macrumors newbie

How soon are we talking here?

19. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

today.

in fact they've just been updated...