iPad/iPhone network joining order

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Soundhound, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I realize this might really be an IOS question, but thought I'd try here. Is there a way to change the order of networks that your iPhone or iPad join? There's a main wifi network at work, but I want to regularly join a little mini wifi network I have set up at my iMac at my desk. Is there a way to change what the default is for the devices, so they'll automatically join the network I want them to join?

2. cinca macrumors regular

I had the same question a while back and did a little research (on this forum as a matter of fact) and came across someone that had a kinda crazy answer. Apparently there is no way in iOS to set a priority of which network to join (which is kinda lame -- maybe in iOS5?) but there is a work around that you might be able to take advantage of...

Apparently if both networks are present then it will just go by alphabetical order.. I know -- sounds kinda funky. I would have thought going by network strength would be a better option. Luckily since you control the name of your mini-wifi hotspot you can change it to AAAA or 1234 and see if you iOS device picks that one. I actually never tried this because my wifi situation changed and I didn't need to play around with it.. And I am not sure if it will SWITCH to the preferred (AAA or 1234) network if it initially connects to your other network but it's worth a try. Good luck!

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey thanks! I'll give it a try. Much appreciated!!

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Glad to see you got a response. I had no idea. Post back if this works! Not very elegant but better than nothing. :p