iPad & iPhone Owners - How much do you use/wish you had 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sportsfrk214, Mar 1, 2011.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I know that others can't speak for my specific needs but I'm just asking for testimonials from others on what they do. This question is directed at people who own an iPhone and who own an iPad, either Wi-Fi or 3G.

Basically, I'm torn if I should get the 3G or Wi-Fi versions of the next iPad. I'm getting my first iPhone when the 5th version comes out this summer and I'm debating whether or not I'll need 3G on my iPad when I have it on my iPhone.

So my question. iPhone and iPad 3G owners: Do you feel that you get a lot of use out of your iPad's 3G, or do you feel that you don't use it much since you have the iPhone? iPhone and iPad Wi-Fi owners: Do you wish you had 3G on your iPad even though you have an iPhone, or do you find it to not be a problem?

I plan on using my iPad 85% at home and at school, and in both places I have Wi-Fi access. I'm just wondering if it's worth having the 3G for the other 15% of the time or if having an iPhone is adequate. I know others can't answer for me but I'd like to hear what others feel. Thank you!

2. shen macrumors 6502

My wife uses the iPad 90% of the time. She also has an iPhone. She got the 3G iPad "just incase."

The longest that the 3G has been "turned off" or had no contract since she got the iPad is about 2 weeks. It is in constant use.

...but, a major reason for that is that at work, her network is locked down, and she has no wireless to piggyback. She uses the wireless spots at coffee houses and such, but at work she streams pandora, checks mail, loads docs, all that stuff, all on the 3G network. So most of her use is in a place without a network.

We do use the 3G other places, maybe 3-5 times a month, for a a couple megs of data, but her primary usage is due to her work situation. But the few times you really need it, it sure is handy.

3. froggie22 macrumors member

I specifically went for the Wifi version since i have the iphone, I just purchased the Mywi app for jailbroken iphones and it works a treat. Just hit one button and its got the internet!
    Saved me money on the 3g version and also the cost of extra data.

I use it mostly on trains for the 3g tethering and just wifi spots if im at home, uni or work.

4. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Not getting the 3G iPad is a small regret, one I only rarely have such as when I'm on a road trip, but pretty much only then. With an iPhone, I do most of what I would do on the iPad there, and then do everything else on the iPad when on wifi. I suppose if I had the extra money and didn't care, I'd just buy a 3G iPad "just in case." It doesn't hurt to have it. Like I said, when out of town it sure would be nice to have it to rely on. My biggest concern would be using up the data allowance too quickly. 2gb doesn't seem like all that much for something like the iPad.

5. Gqkevyn macrumors newbie

I've had the iPad Wifi only pretty much since launch. I have a Nexus One so I just use it as a hotspot whenever I need the web, so I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on the 3G. So in my particular situation (similar to many) I have no regrets.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

I got the WiFi model and I am happy with it. It is a little inconvenient to enable MyWi when I want to use the Internet on the iPad while away from WiFi, but it beats paying another monthly fee. Also I've found lots of places actually have WiFi when I probably would never have checked otherwise.
    One thing I miss is being able to get push notifications when away from a WiFi network, but that isn't a big deal. They just come in later when I have coverage.

7. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I have a palm pre, and I know I can root it and place an application to share Wifi to my ipad and avoid AT&T bills, but I have not done it.

Can you really get caught?

What if you do get caught?

8. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I bought the 3G iPad the day it was released. I've never used the 3G on the iPad. In fact I have yet to turn it on once. I bought it just incase I may need it. But next iPad will be wifi only.

9. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

Jailbroken Iphone, Ipad Wifi.
    if you use MyWi on your iphone, the wireless tethering solves all your problems.

10. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

why kill 2 batteries to use 1 device? I'm 3G iPad all the way of course I also don't see the need for iPad and iPhone simultaniously.

11. matt15f macrumors member

Granted we both own iphone4's, but there has been like only one time whilst owning the wifi ipad that i wish i had the 3g version...

We ended up in a hotel for a night that only offered wired internet access, and my old laptop's wired interface doesn't work...

12. OSMac macrumors 65816

It's hard to beat MyWi for limited 3G use, unless your carrier has a data sharing plan.

The 3G iPad also has GPS so that might be a consideration.

13. fherjohn macrumors newbie

because u can charge it again silly.

14. aluren macrumors 65816

Why pay for two data plans when you already have one for the iPhone? I run the same setup with JB iPhone 4 and tether it to my wifi iPad, which is not often anyways. There's never been a time where I had to do something on the iPad that I couldn't do on the iPhone.

15. OSMac macrumors 65816

Battery is not an issue, its a given,
    as the KEY advantage is your ARE able to use 2 devices.

The phone still rings, gets text messages etc., while you browse on the iPad.

Alternatively you can take your sim out of the iPhone
    and use the it in the iPad with an adapter but then lose phone calls, etc.

For casual use MyWi beats paying for two 3G accounts for most people ?

16. hexspeed macrumors newbie

For me, it was all about having a real GPS; without it, none of the mapping apps are really useful if you're on the move a lot. 3G connectivity was not the attraction since I have a work-supplied Sprint wi-fi hot spot. I opted for and continue to pay for the unlimited AT&T plan which comes in handy when I don't want to drag a bunch of accessories around with me. Waste of money? Yeah, probably, but since I don't pay for the work plan, I lie to myself that it's worth it.

Would I do it again -- absolutely, for no other reason than I've come to love WonderMap for road trips in marginal weather.

17. DoubleTheC macrumors newbie

I'm pretty torn on this myself actually. I'll be touring for a few months, and the Van has wifi built in, as do the hotels that we're staying in, but I still feel like I'll regret not having 3G. If AT&T or Verizon offered an unlimited data package, it'd be a no brainer. I may do Virgin Mobile's unlimited MIFI plan for $50 a month and grab a wifi only one. No contract to worry about so I could just cancel if I'm not using it.

I really want reliable access to maps, especially considering how many new cities I'll be in, and how prone I am to getting lost haha.

18. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

At least where I use my iPad, there is free WiFi everywhere. Even if there wasn't WiFi, I would just jailbreak my phone and use MyWi.

19. patp Guest

32 gb wifi version here. When I'm out I just use the iPhone. The iPad i use mostly at home or office where there is plenty of wifi.

20. patp Guest

for your situation 3G version def makes sense. Are you touring with a band? which band?

21. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I bought the 3G iPad thinking that I would use it a lot and didn't want to reply on WiFi coverage. I've found that I've used it very little...and that was when I first bought it...haven't used 3G in probably 8+ months BUT that is becuase I use MyWi on my jailbroken iPhone, and I do use that probably once a month for 1-2 hours total.

22. iPadLad macrumors member

iPadLad

Use it at home a lot. More than my laptop. Mostly because it is so much easier and faster to use, and it usually lingers around the couch (less walking)

Don't need, nor wish I had 3G. Everywhere I take it has wireless access.

23. DoubleTheC macrumors newbie

I'm a DJ, touring with an entertainment company across the states for 6 of the next 9 months. I'm definitely think I'm spoiled by New York's constant Wi-Fi access. I'm sure that it'll be much harder to find Wi-Fi in some of the smaller cities, so you're probably right.

Hopefully they just include 3G AND Wi-Fi on both models. That way I can go the MIFI route and evaluate how much I use it, before locking in to any contracts.

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

The beauty of the 3G is still that it's an on-and-off option. You may never need to activate it but when you do it's there. And GPS is a nice feature as well, especially in a strange city - not merely for GPS use but for GPS-enabled apps that help you find restaurants or other points of interest (as well as the augmented reality apps that may be viable if there's a rear camera). The 3G is all about potential.

I did a 2-week road trip through about 6 European countries last summer and the 3G iPad was the best travel companion ever.

25. NT.Hardcore macrumors newbie

i have a iphone and a 3g ipad, i use the ipad all the time i might be spoiled to having the big screen but i only use the iphone if the ipad is dead. yea its 15$a month idk not that big a deal if u ask me, the use out weighs the cost imo