iPad = iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vlasciar, Jun 20, 2011.

1. vlasciar macrumors newbie

Just curious about why some of you purchased an iPad even if you already have iPhone? I always think that iPad is basically a bigger version of iPhone without the phone functionality. Bigger screen, easier to read stuff/watch video, a sweet spot replacement for a laptop.

I have thought about getting an iPad during these few months but not sure if it's worth it. I currently have an '06 Macbook Pro.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

While the initial impression of most people is that the "iPad is just a large iPod Touch" (actual quote from one of my coworkers), it is much more that that. It is in essence, a full-blown computer, without any of the hassles that come from a computer.

TEG

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Function is similar (outside
    Phoning) but execution and usability are very different.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

I look at the iPad as more a replacement for books, magazines, notebooks, and news papers. In the new iPad commercial, one of the lines is "now, you can curl up with a good movie", except add to that all the multimedia and internet capabilities this thing has. And for business, this has replaced all my paper receipts, paper contracts, fax, and product catalogs.

And yes, i too just thought "a big iPhone?" when I would look at the iPad until I actually got one. And the main reason I got one was because I was trying to use my iPhone to replace my receipts, contracts, and catalogs, but even though I could read and sign flawlessly, my clients not so much. Getting a much better response from them using my iPad over the iPhone.

5. CHSeifert, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

But you're right. Basically the iPad is just a huge iPhone !

But this makes it much better at doing the stuff, which seemed cramped on the iPhone.

Reading newspapers and magazines online
    Writing longer emails
    Writing essays and longer notes
    Showcasing brochures for customers
    Browsing the inet
    Looking at photos
    Remote controlling your Sonos device with a better app than on the iPhone because of the larger screen

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Things I used to do on my iPhone that I now do on my iPad:

books
    games
    magazines
    reading news
    internet surfing
    twitter
    facebook

I reach for my iPad now to do these things whenever possible. At work, it's obviously way less conspicuous to just do this stuff on the iPhone, but at home or anywhere else my iPhone becomes my phone/messenger/iPod. When iMessage comes out, it will mostly be just an iPod/phone.

At this point I would not want to give up my iPhone OR my iPad. They are both very important devices to me and the ones that I'm on the most. If iPad had phone functionality and I could just use it as a phone with a bluetooth headset, I would no longer use an iPhone.

7. taipan61 macrumors 6502

whilst i may like and used to do most of the things i now do on my iPad on my iPhone, it was getting a little harder to do as the age thing slowly sets in...
    now i carry both with me almost everywhere i go and the phone has almost become just that anymore...a phone.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

9. Dimmick, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

Dimmick macrumors member

Dimmick

I use the iPhone for phone (duh), text, email, mobile internet, GPS, gaming etc. The iPad gets used for consumption of news, reading, video, internet browsing, and games; as well as creation of papers, presentations and notes from class & meetings.

The iPhone is used for quick glances of information and quick replies (eg. "What's that actors name?" "What's playing at the theater tonight?" "How long is Lowe's open?")

iPad is used for longer searches and creation. (eg. "What DVDs can I add to my Netflix queue?" "Let's research car prices!" "I need to study my class notes for tomorrow's quiz.")

The iPhone and iPad are very similar and very different at the same time. The iPad is probably better compared to how you use a laptop rather than comparing it to the iPhone.

10. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

11. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

If my iPad could be used as a cell phone I wouldn't carry my iPhone in many situations. I'd like to not need my iPhone, but having the phone fit in your pocket is too convenient.

12. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

And iPad is like a big iPhone, much like an ocean liner is a big row boat.

13. Siggen macrumors 6502

If you have a jailbroken 3G iPad you can install the phone and sms app from cydia.

14. kalex macrumors 65816

Whatever Ipad is or can be it is FAR FAR FAR away from being full blown computer.

15. vlasciar thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'm not surprised this got so many responses. Thanks for all the response. I think I decided to just wait till next year and see what the iPad3 will offer in terms of power and functionality... I think I will only buy one when tablet is close or equals to an actual computer.

16. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I used to think the same thing about the iPad 1. Then I really played with the iPad 2. Now, I hardly use my MBP for anything other than word processing. There are days that go by when I don't even turn it on.

Don't buy an iPad...fine. But when the next best thng comes out don't buy it either. Instead, wait for the next best thing.

17. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Even thouh they look similar, they are distinctly different devices. Each one does certain things better!