iPad IPS Screen vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" TFT ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by radiohead14, Mar 13, 2011.

1. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

saw this video and was wondering a few things
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtqXLGPzVMk

1) how much of this do you think is real time vs edited on the screen? if it's actual usage then i think the viewing angles look great.
    2) what's the difference between the two panels? or is IPS just a type of TFT? is one considered to have better contrast and viewing angles than the other?
    3) does Samsung still supply Apple with their displays for the iPad?

thanks

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

1. No easy way to tell until the product is actaully out.
    2. IPS is indeed justba form of TFT. Not sure what Samsung plans on using, though they seem big on OLED so who knows.
    3. According to Anandtech there are multiple suppliers (I think 4 different ones?) for the iPad 2. So it is kind of random who makes it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung is one of them.

3. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks. from the video, it looks like google's tweaked honeycomb since i got to try out the xoom. it seems smooother and the screen is definitely better looking than the xoom. i wonder how these will be priced compared to the ipad. i read that they were worried about their release when ipad 2 came out, so they might be forced to price match. now hopefully apple can iron out the kinks when it comes to the ipad 2's display, as i loved the screen on the original ipad.

4. No1up macrumors regular

5. OSMac macrumors 65816

Samsung does well with screens, I was surprised how good the Galaxy Tab 7 screen looked, the contrast and color looked as good or better than the iPads and the iPad has a near perfect screen!

6. tsekh macrumors member

For the uninitiated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

Both the Galaxy Tab 7 and 10.1 use Samsung manufactured IPS panels. If you go to Samsung LCD website, you can see that Samsung currently manufactures 3 models of IPS LCD panel for tablets, 7", 9.7", and 10.1". It is obvious that the 7" and the 10.1" are used on their own tablets. And I remember that some of the original iPads also used a Samsung panel, perhaps that's the 9.7" one listed there.

7. corriewf macrumors 6502a

I swore off samsung products, but this looks pretty good!