iPad is dead, new warranty?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matthuds, Dec 2, 2010.

1. matthuds macrumors newbie

Ok, my girlfriend and I brought an iPad together when they were first released.
    I set it up with iTunes on my MacBook Pro and it worked great.
    I am now working in Italy with my computer and my girlfriend has the iPad in the UK. She called me the other day and said it had just shut itself off while she was using it with considerable battery life.
    I obviously cant try to connect it to my iTunes, and she has tried to reset by holding down the home and power button for a good minute to no avail.

I have heard of people having similar problems, and I have no doubt that when she takes it to the Apple store they will repair/replace it. Although I am concerned because if this were to happen again in 6 months the warranty will have expired and we will be screwed.

So I guess I am asking for any advice on how to fix it at home? and if apple replace or repair will they renew the warranty and give us another year of relaxed use? (I dont want to shell out 100 quid for apple care)

P.s. It wasn't jailbroken as it appears many others having a similar problem are.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

When they replaced mine they added an extra 90 days on the existing warranty.

3. jabbott macrumors 6502

I've had this happen before. My iPad was set to not auto-lock (for a demo I was doing), and the battery went from 90% to completely depleted overnight. It was so depleted that it wouldn't respond to any input. The solution I found was to plug it into the wall charger and leave it charging for about 15 minutes, then it turned on fine. It may not be the same situation, but at least try this first and see if it helps. Good luck!

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

IT is what it is, you get it fix or replace and the risk of that happening again is the same as happening the first time. You can buy apple care for 1 or 2 more years if you want, but IMO it is not worth it. I don't think there is a way to "fix it at home" what you describe seen a like a hardware failure. there is no way to "guarantee" it won't happen again like with any piece of electronics you buy.

5. Flipstar macrumors member

6. keen-on-mac-1 macrumors member

keen-on-mac-1

The problem clearly comes from the hardware of the iPad and you won't be able to do anything about it.
    If charging it doesn't solve the problem then try bringing it back to the AppleStore and ask them if this occured to other iPad users as well, and if they where the problem comes from.

7. matthuds thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant try because I have my computer in a different country. I am not sure if this will solve the problem and would be less hassle than going to the nearest apple store (40miles away) but I wont be home for 2 months.

8. rworne macrumors 6502a

You have pretty much the same odds of the new one failing as the old one. These odds are actually pretty low since iPad problems are not particularly common.

If you get a replacement and this is a big concern, I'd inquire as to the availability of Applecare for the unit since it is "new" and under warranty.

9. matthuds thread starter macrumors newbie

Are they likely to tell me how many of their products have been reported faulty?

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can connect it to ANY computer, go to any computer/Electronic store, friend house, any Computer will do just to see if the iPad is alive.

You can also do it on the phone, they send you a box anywhere in the world, and you can send it in for check up/repairs and if it is faulty they send you a new one. I did it while i was in spain took about a week in half.

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

The warranty for the replacement is either the remainder of the original device's warranty, or 90 days .. whichever is longer.

They are trained to not talk about anything that's not publicly stated on apple.com. Whether or not the individual that you speak to follows that training, nobody can guess in advance.

12. matthuds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Ill tell her to give that a try.

13. poloponies Suspended

No, I doubt they would even know that in the stores (other than the usual urban-myth telling that occurs in the workplace). They've sold 10 million of these, there's no way to move that much product without some problems. A defect rate of even 0.1% means that it's 10,000 units.

However, I'm in the "technical glitch" camp on this one. A similar thing happened to me while I was traveling about a month after the iPad came out (I bought it on Day 1). A hard reset didn't work immediately but after I plugged it in at my hotel and did a reset it was fine and hasn't exhibited a problem since.

Were this actually a common defect (and maybe it's one we'll learn of) then they likely allow for some leeway on the warranty, but I doubt it's something that you'd experience again on a replacement.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple will replace it within a year from your purchase date. They will not extend warranty without a cost. If your iPad breaks with warranty expired, then they will charge a fee.

You wrote like 3 paragraphs about how worried you are about your iPad, but I don't see why you had to write all this...

Your main points were

1. My iPad just broke.
    2. I need my iPad replaced.
    3. I don't want to pay anymore additional money. No extended WARRANTY! So, will apple replace it after warranty is expired?

The answer is simple, No. You have to pay for it. Most of cases, apple charges people to get their out of warranty devices replaced.

15. matthuds thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry if this offends you, lets just say I'm a sucker for the personal touch.

16. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm assuming that it was purchased in the UK, although you are not 100% clear.

SHORT ANSWER-

I think extended warranties are overrated, you have good consumer rights to remedy a problem in the future.

LONG ANSWER-

If that is the case then this may actually help you in the future! Sale of Goods Act is the consumer's best friend. In short (ie don't take this as gospel!) goods must be sold fit for purpose and therefore last a reasonable length of time, for the iPad this could easily be argued as 2 years as Apple offer a 2 year warranty. Regardless of whether there is a warranty or not, if you can prove on balance of probabilities (ie 51% will do) that it was not your actions that caused the problem Apple have to repair/replace/refund as appropriate.

If it were to happen again in 6 months time, when warranty expired just say I had this problem 6 months ago, and other people have had that problem too. To be honest, most people are decent and may agree to repair then. If not say you would like to exercise your rights under the SOGAct, if they still disagree send them a letter warning that you will take action. If they still don't agree go to moneyclaim.com and file a small claims, costs £35 for a claim up to £500, but you get that back if you win. It really isn't as scary as it sounds, you sit with a judge in an office (not usually a court room) and it can take just a few minutes. If the fault happened 6 months ago and it is happening to others you may have a strong case that it wasn't your actions that caused the problems. Often big companies never turn up anyway and you pretty much win by default.

If you want peace of mind buy Applecare. Remember most companies are very understanding, but also the UK has excellent consumer rights compared to many countries and it is very easy to do a quick small claims. I read a while ago that 70% of managers will give a repair to somebody who mentions the SOGAct, a further 25% will agree to repair when they receive notice of your claim, so only 5% let it go to small claims anyway! Fortunately, I have never had to go that far, but people I know that have couldn't believe how easy it was and couldn't understand why more people don't stick to their guns!

17. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

You might want to look into buying an AppleCare plan on eBay. It may seem a little dodgy, but if you buy from a seller with a great reputation, you are quite safe. The sellers will usually offer to email you the activation code. I just bought an iPad plan for about $56 (£36). I have purchased plans for several other Apple products on eBay as well and have used the option of having the seller email the code. All transactions worked flawlessy. Coverage is verified on Apple's website and I confirmed it when my MacBook needed repairs near the end of the AppleCare coverage.

18. poloponies Suspended

He KNOWS that they'll replace it if the current problem doesn't resolve, his concern is that if it's a recurring defect and the replacement fails six months from now (after the initial warranty expires) he'll be out of luck.