iPad is fantastic. But it lacks apps/software

Discussion in 'iPad' started by henrikrox, Sep 30, 2010.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Had my iPad since launch and there is one thing im noticing. The lack of new apps. There seem to be little innovation on the platform. And the same apps that were on the top charts on release date still is today.

I can understand that the iPod and iPhone market is better. Due to much more units. Still, i feel atter the international launch of iPad we should se something new.

Just a little bit disappointed. Hardware is great. But we all know hardware don't mean nothing if you don't got good software. Yes there is some gems on iPad aswell. Im just saying that they are rare.

What do you guy a think?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Just out of curiosity, is there anything in specific that you are missing?

Every time I need or think of something I go to the AppStore and I can find several options of what I am looking for. I agreed, the iPad Section is not saturated by 5K fart apps, and there are not Flashlight either but in my opinion that is a good thing.

So far i haven't gotten anything that i had to say "oh I wish there would be an app for that"

3. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

True, there are less iPad apps than iPhone, but what kind of apps are you looking for that aren't on the iPad?

4. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Agreed. I've said it a few times myself. Had others say that it 'takes time' to develop on the platform, but I think that's bunk. There have been some very good games that have come out for the iPad (Avatar is quite extraordinary), but they are few and far between. It's a shame too, as the iPad is a much better gaming interface than the iPhone in terms of straight play.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

6. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I specifically would like mint for the iPad. I have tried several budgeting apps and none of them do quite enough of what I want them to do. Mint's website does but a lot of the content is in flash so I can't use my iPad for it. The ipod/iphone version is crap.

7. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

It does take time when a new platform appears, and despite all the people desperate to pretend that the iPad is nothing more than a big iPhone, it really is a new platform.

We thought, oh well, we will have all those iPhone apps that can be double-sized, and then when we saw them we realized that wasn't what we wanted. We wanted crystal-clear graphics that filled our new screens.

We thought, oh well, those iPhone apps have the right idea, so we'll just make the iPad version the same but bigger, and then when we saw them we realized that wasn't what we wanted. We wanted new ways of interacting with the screen that called for new UI elements.

In short, I think a lot of people were surprised at just how different the iPad is from anything that came before, and a lot of developers went back to the drawing board. Thus the delay in getting more new apps than we've already seen. I do agree with maturola that there really are plenty of good apps. But I think we've only scratched the surface of what this device can and will do. The developers are going through the same realization and I'm sure the are hard at work on things that are going to blow our minds.

Patience.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am surprised that someone is disappointed with iPad's app selections. iPad is not even out for more than 5-6 months and it has over 25000 apps already. iPhone and iPod have been out for years and years. It takes time to develop apps. Wait until you see samsung Tab or blackberry playbook... See how many apps they will have. Maybe you should just wait longer.

9. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Kudos for bringing up tab and playbook into this.

Also when does quantity become better then quality? I would rather have 1000 insane good apps to choose from, rather then 24 000 useless app.

Maybe that's just me.

10. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I know how you feel. Sometimes I browse the app store and feel disappointed in the number of 'wow' apps. But then I ask myself the question that has been posed in this thread, 'what kind of apps do I want?'. Ultimately I have a hard time thinking of anything. And then I look at the five pages of apps on my iPad and realize I have a lot of cool stuff. I have more drawing apps than I know what to do with, tons of music apps, new readers, radio apps, media players, etc. There really is a lot of great stuff out there.

I think part of what makes us feel disappointed in the ap selection is that so far, a lot of what's out there is just higher resolution versions of iPhone apps with, in some cases, minor additional features. So far, there really aren't many fully featured, robust apps that really drive the iPad beyond what the iPhone is capable of. Their are lots of cool original apps, and even a lot of the ports are far better on the iPad, but it feels like there is always somehting missing...

I just want to get home from work tonight so I can get a VNC app to play some Minecraft on the go.

11. cube macrumors G5

What is missing is Java, Flash, VirtualBox, and VMWare.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I also agree the iPad is lacking in BIG titles.

Games and Apps.

Novelty items and phone games seem to be the majority of whats there now.

Don't get me wrong this is all great and I love it.

But we need some Big Brand Names items as well to make it a serious device.

Just tonight I had an update of Photoshop Express and to say it's embarrassing is an understatement.

Deluxe Paint on the Amiga running at 8Mhz was a million times better!

Likewise, where are all the big name game companies?

I know we have a few but it's still thin pickings.

Angry Birds (still being in the very top of the best games) whilst a great game for what it is and I enjoyed playing it a lot, must shout volumes about what else it out there for it to still be near the top of the best games.

13. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I'm a big point and click adventurer gamer and I know they have a couple, Broken Sword and Monkey Island but I want more :cool: .

Indiana Jones, Kings Quest, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, The Longest Journey (the longest FK'n game I ever played), And a whole slew more. Come on, get with it ...

14. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Somehow i feel its because the devs focus on iphone/ipod. It seems easier to create for that platform.

Smaller screen, dont need to be so complex.

However when the screen is 10" we demand more then doodle jump i think.

Cant blame them though, if i were to create a app, i would choose the platform with 30million+ units, rather then the one with 5-6 millions.

I sure do hope the trend changes. Now, its just seems they port the same game/app from iphone to ipad without actually using the extra screen space.

15. sineplex macrumors 6502

Believe me when I say this:
    There will be more apps on the iPad than the Blackberry Playbook, HP Palmpad and Samsung Galaxy Tab combined.

So be happy, it's a brand new piece of kit that's not even 12 months old. Let things settle and mature.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Actually, on that very point. I also feel that the launch if the iphone4 did nothing but harm for iPad software development.

Apples major competitor to the iPad is apple with the iPhone.

I hope the two can drift apart over time and the iPad becoming it's own device and not something that gets tweaked for the bigger screen phone apps

17. vw195 macrumors 6502

Developers go with the money...Right now that is Iphone/ipod touch..eventually they may develop for ipad

18. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

The problem, the iPad 2 will come out. But on it's heels with be the iPhone 5 and then a new iPod touch and the circle of iDevices continue.

19. ipadtruth macrumors newbie

Have faith my friend... Apple will prevail. Lol in the mean time if you can find a better device with better apps buy it lol and let me know so I can get it too! iPad might not be perfect yet but it's still miles ahead of the competition. Also it depends on what kinds of apps you want.... The games for the iPad are on NEARLY on the xbox360 and PS3 level. I can give a list of my fav games so far... If you'd like...lol As for music apps I love showing up my DJ friends up with my iPad. Now these are apps are expensive but thats nothing that jailbreaking can't fix.

20. xraytech macrumors 68020

Could you elaborate on exactly you want?

21. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Apple is being the victim of its cult of secrecy here. They should give out more insight on the iPad sales volume (if those are good;) ) to draw the attention of developers. At this time the counter is stuck at the c.3 m of 3 months ago.

iOS 4.2 with wireless printing is certainly going to open new horizons.

Also, since the start, Apple itself apparently did not realize they were onto something potentially very big, so they still seem to struggle at marketing the iPad, including to developers.

22. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Oh! You will respond to this one. You are just making an assumption that playbook or samsung tab has a better selection. Please!! Look at the android market, it has mostly crap. Curated markets have far better apps than an open, uncurated market.

I have seen plenty of great apps!! ABC app, netflix, flip, vlc, goodreader, etc. keynote, pages, numbers are good, too. We City is great. GTA chinawars is good. call of duty zombies. More great apps will come!!

23. ipadtruth macrumors newbie

I agree! Some other awesome games titles: spinter cell, resident evil 4, madden NFL '11, prince of Persia, iron man 2, top gun, FIFA soccer, EA skate, need for speed shift, duke nuke em(ya as in the N64 duke nuke em lol)
    Baby decks, KORG iElectribe, and well I'm not gunna list all the amazing music apps... There's ALOT lol. I haven't found any musical limitations yet.

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

He's got no clue what he wants.

iPad lacks apps. That's why multi-billion dollar corporations are using it. :rolleyes:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/

25. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

It's not missing. Maybe in your expectations but it's never going to happen.