iPad is not totally useless in direct sunlight

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chrisqmalibu, Oct 13, 2010.

1. chrisqmalibu macrumors newbie

2. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well, iPad works for me with bicycling glasses.

4. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I use mine outside all the time. The screen actually looks much better than even the video shows.

I use the iPad quite a bit on the back deck, and in the back yard (hammock time...)

The only time I had a problem using the iPad in the sun was on a long car trip. When I wasn't driving, I pulled out the iPad in the passenger seat to get some work done. We were driving South, (down from Boston) and the sun was shining directly in on the passenger seat. Ordinarily, I would just face a different direction, but in a car, you're kind of stuck facing one way.

5. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Issue #1: Invalid angle for a proper assessment. It needs to be angled, because that's how one would hold it. Not perfectly perpendicular to the ground. That's not ergonomic and not representative of a human holding the thing.

Issue #2: It's still a mirror, no matter what setting you put on it.

Issue #3: In some shots he's got an antiglare film, looks like RadTech, on there. That's fine, but you need to disclose that you're doing that.

Issue #4: Fact remains the iPad's screen is just not conducive to outdoors reading. Can you do it? Sure. But it's not an ideal experience.

6. chrisqmalibu thread starter macrumors newbie

Try that with lower brightness with standard black text on white background, it will look a lot worst.

7. chrisqmalibu thread starter macrumors newbie

If there is a will, there is a way. How's about sun shade for your car?

http://www.ecvv.com/product/176210.html

8. chrisqmalibu thread starter macrumors newbie

#1 That is the idea. Move around a little to get it work better.

#2 True.

#3 Wrong. There is absolutely no anti-glare film. Just polarizing filter on my camera (to simulate polarized sunglasses).

4# The fact is few will spend hours reading outdoors under direct sunlight (skin cancer :). We spend most of our time reading indoors (98% or more). This just address the 2%. Not a big deal, just annoying.

Even reading indoors by the windows, the tips does work well for me. I can adjust the brightness to compensate for uneven lighting. White text on black background is a definite PLUS. Can't beat this hidden feature.

9. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Black background accentuates the mirror effect. I'll give you the screen protector, looks like you left the surrounding window on iBooks or something. It looks like a filter.

If that is your video I just saw where you said it "debunks" the Kindle ad. It really doesn't. Again, the angle of the thing matters. Do another video where the iPad's screen is DIRECTLY angled at the sunlight, because that is how you would hold it if the sun were directly above or just behind you - roughly at a 45 - 60 degree angle. Not a perfect 90 degree angle. That is going to skew your results. You WILL end up with an image that looks similar to the Kindle ad. Now, that guy had his brightness down. But it's still not going to be that much clearer.

Other skews:

• Fingerprints
    • Presence or lack of a screen protector of any kind

10. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I know that will look worse...The mirror effect is such a distraction though that I could not read on it.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you notice the thread is specifically about direct sunlight.

12. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Yes it is.

Kindle FTW.

13. chrisqmalibu thread starter macrumors newbie

Amazon attempts to generalize that the iPad is completely unusable outdoors. All we need is just one example to debunk that. Amazon tries to make everyone think that we can not use the iPad outside at all. It's not the case.

As for what I need, the iPad works far better than Kindle (which I did attempt to use outdoors instead of the iPad, Kindle fails as a PDF reader. It lacks color screen, no multi-touch and PDF navigation is not practica).

Nobody would expect the iPad LCD screen to do well in sunlight. It's not designed for that. But it does work for what I need as PDF e-reader.

PDF requires multi-touch and color display to be practical. Kindle does not have either features. This is why I decided to return the Kindle. I no longer have problems using the iPad outdoors.

iPad does work quite well for me. No, no film of any kinds. Just polarizing filter on my Nikon 50mm f/1.2 lens. Moving the ipad around a little for best angle. That's it.

The idea is to find the right angle to get it work ok.

BTW, I did try using the Kindle with headlamp in low light. The light reflects off Kindle E-Ink screen so much it's not working well. It does work if I really want to use it but why? My ipad does have backlight and works in total darkness.

So, the Kindle is on the way back to Amazon.

14. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I disagree. Amazon is saying that the iPad is unpleasant to read on outdoors which it is. If you watch the pool ad the iPad looks just like it does in your video. You can see text on the screen but the glare on the screen is really distracting...just like in real life.

15. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I get a kick watching how hard some people work to "prove" something.

Take your iPad and Kindle outside, turn to the same page of the same book on both devices ( using Kindle app). Lay them side by side.

Verdict: the iPad wasn't designed for optimal use in anything but indoor light. Trying to say otherwise just makes you appear desperate.

16. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Kindle is like reading a book. The K3's screen, in particular, is indistinguishable from a printed page. The iPad is laughable in comparison.