iPad iPad is now a one handed device (holding that is)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macalway, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Macalway, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

Macalway macrumors 68000

And I ain't Popeye. Way to go Apple

It's actually a bit confusing as to how I'm going to accessorize. Like, what will a case do?

2. Macalway, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

Macalway thread starter macrumors 68000

You right it's not, changed the title. It's difficult for me to count to two

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It is for me.

I will be getting a thin case, maybe even just a skin to protect the back from getting scratched when I set it down.

4. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I find myself holding the Air in exactly the same way I held my Mini.

5. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

The Air is much easier and more comfortable to hold than the iPad 3 or 4. It's still not a one-handed device the way the mini is. It is slightly too unwieldy to use that way.

It is amazing what Apple did with the Air, but a 10" screen just doesn't lend itself to one-handed use no matter how thin and light.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I do not have this problem.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Im still holidng it with two hands for the most part but its quite obvious how much oughter this Air is versus my ipad 2. Like night and day.

So, the net "gain" is that I can hold it longer without fatigue or strain. A big plus no matter what. ;)

8. kashirat macrumors newbie

I'd be interested to hear from other iPad Air owners:

Have you tried to one hand hold the air for a long period of time? If so, how long before it stops being comfortable?

9. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

i have no problem holding it with one hand, because i dont have girl hands :D

10. Macalway thread starter macrumors 68000

I imagine that would vary according to musculature

But I use a Kindle for reading, and as one poster suggested, it's kinda large
    But it also depends, i would think, on what your reading; Novels no

The Mini would be much better for long term reading, but a rather expensive E-reader

11. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

It's all about what you are willing to compromise on. If you are using the iPad mostly as a reader, or need to hold it in the air for extended periods of time, the mini is the way to go. You compromise on the size of the screen and will be doing more zooming on web pages.

If you use it for movies, or as a partial laptop-replacement, then the Air is the way to go. Your compromise is that it is not as comfortable to hold for extended periods of time, and doesn't fit in some pockets.

If the compromises don't matter to you or are acceptable, ta da.

12. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

:eek: lol

13. Macalway thread starter macrumors 68000

+1

14. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Well it can be done but I'd worry that if my hands got sweaty or have my hand slip that it would pop out of my hand and hit the ground.

15. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Well, I am a girl with girl hands obviously and I have no trouble holding the Air in one hand. Even for extended periods. My old iPad 3 is another story. The weight difference is very noticeable to me. I had a Mini for a year but sold it in favor of the bigger screen and the Air does not feel heavy to me. YMMV!

16. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Coming from a 1 and 3 the Air doesn't bother me at all. I hold it with a single hand for over 20 minute intervals and don't have any iPad fatigue. But I'm not the smallest or guys.

17. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I read for about a half hour with my air on break today. All with one hand.

----------

lol

18. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I was under the impression that people were talking about holding it in portrait mode with thumb on one edge and fingers on the other edge with the iPad resting in ones palm. It is possible for me to hold it that way though it is a bit of a stretch.

Now I see grabbing it on one side or corner is what is being described. Yes, easy to hold it that way for some time without the weight becoming a factor.

19. Bengy66 macrumors regular

I just want to hold mine period. After initially being told 2-4 days, it got back ordered. Last time I don't buy the IDevice directly from Apple moving forward.

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

The device is not heavy but some find it uncomfortable to hold. Spoiled by the Mini I suppose.

I understand the need to hold it for SOME things. I have a smart cover and really do not hold it for most things or I have it on my lap.

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

22. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

I have to take back what I said earlier. I finally decided on the Air today after a week of research, and I think it actually is a borderline one-handed device. Holding it in the store does not do it any justice - I realize now that the anti-theft leash makes the Air feel a lot heavier than it really is.

I am unbelievably impressed with Apple. I never thought I would be convinced to go back to the full-sized iPad after using the mini, but they did it.

23. WilliamBateman macrumors regular

Not sure why so many people rave about how light it is, maybe compared to the older iPad but being used to the Mini, its an absolute brick in comparison. Returned mine and waiting for the new mini.

24. christurbo macrumors regular

I use my Air with one hand in portrait mode.

The same way I hold a mini (hand spread out at the rear from side to side). Easy.