iPad iPad is now bricked and won't restore. Please help.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NJMetsHero, Apr 3, 2013.

1. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

My iPad crapped out earlier today and was stuck on the Apple logo screen for about 20 minutes, so I decided to just restore it. However, I keep getting an error message and it doesn't complete. I've tried different cables, restarting the computer, updating all software, and restarting the computer again. Nothing works. It cleared the iPad successfully and couldn't put the software back on for some reason.

I keep getting this message:

"The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (26)."

I also get a link to this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

I don't know what else to do. If anyone can help, please let me know. Thanks.

2. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

A friend of mine had this happen a while back on their iPhone. Same error (26). Basically, this was the advice he received:

(link)

He wasn't jailbroken and went to the Apple store. Since it was still under the 1 year warranty, he got a replacement one.

Might have to be the same route for you.

Are you jailbroken? If so, that would void the warranty unfortunately.

3. NJMetsHero thread starter macrumors regular

Absolutely never jailbroke the device. In fact, this was a replacement I received when I brought in my iPad about a week ago because the screen was cracked (paid $49 for a new one under Applecare).

I figured I was stuck so I set up an appointment at the Apple Store. Hopefully they'll either just give me a new one or fix it.

Seems idiotic that this would happen after having it for like a week. Maybe it was refurbished and done incorrectly.

4. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

Could be, especially if the refurbished iPad was once a jailbroken iPad; who knows what issues it had before it was worked on.

Yep, best bet is to have it replaced.

5. NJMetsHero thread starter macrumors regular

Got it replaced at the Apple Store. Didn't save my backup though apparently...

6. maxosx macrumors 68020

Speaking of "Bricked"

I just came across this article about the death of the iPad.

An interesting read, it would make for a good discussion.

Perhaps the members can discuss this without some of the chaos that tends to erupt if the discussion is not to their liking.

"The iPad death watch"

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/03/apple-ipad-death-watch/