Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
Not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this but it seems my iPad (1st gen.) gets slower and lags more and more with each iOS update... App crashing has also has become more frequent.. Really sucks, I imagine reason is each iOS update is designed for the ipad2 and iPhone 4 and not performance improvements for our iPads..

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this but it seems my iPad (1st gen.) gets slower and lags more and more with each iOS update... App crashing has also has become more frequent.. Really sucks, I imagine reason is each iOS update is designed for the ipad2 and iPhone 4 and not performance improvements for our iPads..

My original iPad runs great. I had a minor issue with Safari crashing until I found if I cleared the Safari history several times a day it stopped crashing. IOS updates are not just designed for the iPad 2.

xTRIGGER092x

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
This is a pretty common issue with 1st-gen iPad users, but my 1st gen runs great on 5.0.1. I'd recommend disabling Spotlight, killing all the apps in your multitasking tray, doing a hard reset (hold down the sleep/lock + home button until you see the Apple logo at restart), organizing all of your apps into a few folders, and keeping the amount of content on your iPad to a minimum (a filled up storage device has a tendency to run slower than one that's got some room to breathe). You could also restore as new, but that's a more drastic solution.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.