iPad is tiringly heavy & Unergonomic to hold

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whocaresit, Aug 3, 2010.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

iPad is so good and addictive, but it tires my hands out easily :(

PLUS, the thinner edges make it further harder to hold (it is more thicker towards-the-center).
    Weight is unevenly distributed more towards the center, so it feels like it is constantly falling out of the hands)

Any one feeling the same way?

Has Apple intentionally made the iPad 1 heavy & partly unergonomic so as to entice us to buy the next iPad? :eek:

2. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Time for a gym membership

Conspiracy theorize much?

4. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

you must be a very small individual to think that the iPad is heavy.

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I'll make the obvious joke. You're holding it wrong.

Seriously, I don't know anyone who holds one for a significant length of time, especially one without some sort of cover. Everyone I know props it in some fashion. It's a portable device, not a handheld. If you're looking for a handheld, get an iPhone or iPod Touch.

I have a chronic fatiguing illness that often leaves me unable to hold things reliably, and yet I can manage an iPad. I'm pretty sure most people can figure out how to make do. Even rabid conspiracy theorists.

6. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

Possible solutions:

1. Go to the gym
    2. Grab yourself an iPad case
    3. Get a iPad backcover
    4. Don't hold it, get a car swivel holder and stick it on your forehead
    5. Don't hold it, support it with your beerbelly.

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

8. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I've always had my iPad in a case - very easy to hold. The naked iPad is way too slippy for my clammy hands... :(

You're right it could be a bit lighter, but then it would have the functionality of a Kindle.

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Save your strength and use it to look up a similar thread posted with the same theme over and over and over again before.

10. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

There will be no refresh in September.

Whoops... copied and pasted the wrong response from my "Common MacRumors Threads" document.

This place seems to be on a loop. Each day you can come back and see a thread talking about how heavy and unergonomic the iPad is with responses telling the OP to get a gym membership :p

11. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

No, he has a point. I used the iPad for the first time yesterday and after about 10/15 mins it became a bit of a chore to hold.

12. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

As stated above, its not really a "handheld". Get an ipod touch for that, its the exact same device, just smaller and lighter.

I imagine ipads would mostly be used sitting down (at a table, on a bus, subway, etc) with a leg crossed and your ipad sitting on it. At least this is how I would use it.

13. Chew macrumors member

Erm. To answer the question of OP. Yes, it is a bit heavy to hold it. And yes, one must get used to a good way to grab it. Especially when employing the iPad as an eBook Reader I notice the weight. I have found my ways to use it comfortably but I share your concerns in principle. The average paper novel weighs 200g to 400g where the iPad is around 650g. After a couple minutes of reading, it gets a bit heavy.

14. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Just get the Apple iPad case. I thought the same as you for a week until the case arrived from Apple. Now I truly do think the machine is revolutionary!

15. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Sorry. But you need a gym membership, don't leave there until you can hold it.

It's comfortable for me to hold. And it Isn't heavy at all.

Heck, I was sat in an airport on mine for 3 hours (give or take, did get up at times to get a drink etc). And I didn't have any issues, and I'm not exactly the strongest guy I know, I am 6'1" though.

16. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

"Weight is unevenly distributed more towards the center, so it feels like it is constantly falling out of the hands)"

...doh. Where would you want it to be? There is no wrong way to hold an iPad, so putting the weight anywhere but the center would be completely horrific...

17. richardmu macrumors 6502a

get the apple ipad case. doesn't make it lighter but it's a lot easier to hold imho.

18. Bear4asian macrumors newbie

Gym snarkiness

Come on people try to relax with the "get a gym membership" snarkiness. Apple products are great, but not perfect.

As someone who loves Apple products ands buys many of them,the iPad is a disappointing to me. One of the main reasons I bought an iPad was to use as a book and even a newspaper reader. To that extent it IS to heavy and unruly.

I'm wondering if our snarky friends have used the iPad to read an entire book? That is totally different than surfing websites, writing emails and the like - whether it's for 5 minutes or 5 hours.

Apple obviously positioned the iPad as a book reader. (See all the ebooks they are selling) So expecting an ebook reader to be "amazing" or "miraculous" - to use their words is not asking too much.

19. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

A good case makes it really easy to hold.

I have not noticed any weight problems though. I find it light for all the goodness that it holds inside. I expected the internet to be much heavier.

20. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Yes, I do use my iPad to read books for long periods of time, and NO, I don't find it heavy. I just hold the iPad like a normal book, or I somewhat cradle the iPad against my forearms and just flip the pages as necessary.

The Apple iPad isn't supposed to be targeted primarily as a book reader. Yes, it can read books, but no, that doesn't means it's simply "a book reader." It's more than that. The iPad's a media consumption device, whether it's for books, music, art design, games, movies, etc. Most of the complaints on the forums are just people buying a product for the wrong reasons.

"I'm not happy with the lack of a camera"
    "I only want to read books and it's too heavy"
    "I can't play Starcraft II on it, why doesn't it have more RAM"
    "I want retina display on my iPad"

They shouldn't have gotten an iPad in the first place. Typical Apple fanboys buying products and being unsatisfied with their purchase, because they were too stupid to understand the reality of the product, through over-expectations of an unknown product, and a forced demand of capabilities once they've realized it can't do what they expected it do.

If you really wanted "JUST" a book reader, get the damn Kindle and stop whining like a little girl about how "oh, the iPad's too heavy."

21. trssho macrumors 6502

I agree that the iPad is not comfortable to hold. Ok when you prop or lean it, but to hold it in the hand gets old. I bought a case for mine, and like it a lot better. I bought the Targuss Truss, and would recommend. Funny it added weight and bulk, but much more comfortable to handle.

22. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I have to admit - I was kind of surprised about the iPad's weight at first. To be honest, if I hold it like I do in the picture attached, it does get quite tiring for me after only a short while. As Steve would say and has been referenced here already, "just avoid holding it in that way". I don't see this as a problem, but I'd be surprised if people managed holding the iPad in this position for longer amounts of time. I'd also certainly be delighted if a future iPad was a little lighter than the current one...

But, yeah, maybe some of us should simply work out a bit more... :p

Attached Files:

23. mrathee macrumors 6502

A: yikes.

B: yea, I always heard that apple made their products aesthetically repulsive. genius!

24. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

The heaviness doesn't bother me because I have it in a case and usually prop it up in some way. However, it is still not ergonomic at all! I have had mine for a little over a month and have noticed problems with my right elbow since that time. I think it has to do with the weird angles at which I am using it at to make it comfortable...but I can't use it for extended periods anymore unless it is for something like reading that doesn't require constant interaction with the screen.

The problem is that I love the form factor of the tablet and there is no way to make a tablet ergonomic for use as a tablet. If you don't have a keyboard, you will need to look down at it (bad for your neck and back) or put your arms at weird angles (which is why my elbow bothers me) to be able to type on it...and if you are using a keyboard it kind of takes away from the point of using a tablet.

25. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Btw, I have the apple "microfiber" :rolleyes: case.

When I turn the cover flap over to the backside, due to the curvy design, the left most part keeps bulging outwards as I try to grip on the right edge. :mad: