ipad + itunes match

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
how does this work? where has my local content gone?

basically i dropped the 20 or so on iTunes match in hope that i could store 30% of my stuff locally then the rest which i would rarely need, grab off the air. however after enabling match, now all i can see is my iTunes match library!

any hints/tips please?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Match erases the content from the iPhone / iPad. You have to download it by hitting the cloud button next to the song.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Once you have stuff on there, there's a toggle under the music settings to have it show everything, or just what's locally stored on the device.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
so i have to download whatever i want from the iTunes match server?

surely just a local sync is easier than having to do that?

I'm starting to think this iTunes match was a waste of money...

i wanted to be able to locally sync my music and then have available additional tracks which i couldn't be bothered to via the cloud.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
You either sync or you use iTunes Match. If you use iTunes Match just go and download which songs/albums you want on your iPad through the Music app instead of through iTunes on your computer.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You only have to do the download once - and it is the same as a sync. I don't see what the problem is, especially if you have the music in a playlist. Scroll to the bottom and hit Download All.