iPad Jailbreak Confusion

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by heat, Jan 18, 2012.

1. heat macrumors newbie

I have a iPad 2 WIFI version current on 4.3.3 that was Jail-broken using Jailbreakme.com

I have SHSH saved only for 5.0.1 on Cydia's server.
    I don't have a SHSH for 4.3.3

Can I upgrade to 5.0.1 when the jailbreak comes out or Should I do it NOW?

2. youyou macrumors member

I've had 4.3.3 jailbroken for months now.
    I've been holding off to update to 5.0.1 until now.
    With the Apple event tomorrow and the news we got today and as of late i'm updating as i'm writing this.
    Hopefully i won't have to wait to long.

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Well, according to pod2g, you SHOULD, or HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, that you should upgrade to iOS 5.0.1, before Apple releases iOS 5.1. Once apple releases iOS 5.1, you wont be able to update to 5.0.1, because Apple won't sign it anymore.
    If I were you, I would use package backup, or aptbackup & any other cydia backup app, and update to iOS 5.0.1 now.

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I am planning to upgrade as soon as one of two things happen:

1) The jb is released.

2) 5.1 (or 5.0.2 or whatever) is released. I've been watching this whole thing somewhat obsessively, since you only have about a day to upgrade to any previous version before they stop signing it, so I want to jump on it as quickly as possible if this happens. I've got the upgrade downloaded, just not installed yet.

What you decide to do will depend on how sure you are that you can catch the signing window and how important 5.0 vs jb is to you.

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-blOZL-F0kE&feature=player_embedded

I was wondering where you got your source about being able to update to 5.0.1 once 5.1 is released? I haven't heard, or read, from any youtube/blog that you can do that.

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Well, there are no guarantees, but in the past they have always continued to sign the last version for about a day after the latest release.

7. elvtnedge macrumors regular

8. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Thanks, I'll check this out when I get home this afternoon and upgrade.

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

Worked for me.

10. logan59102 macrumors newbie

Been trying to jb on my ipad2. Keep getting a white screen when i hit Absinthe. VPN trick does not work. Anyone has that?

11. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

It worked for me. Opened the app, got a white screen. Hit the home button, go to the Settings tab, tap networking, go to vpn, and toggle the switch. It should take a second as it tries to connect, but should give you an error message. Hit okay and the iPad will reboot. Tadaa! you're done.