iPad jailbreak question

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by JohnMAC1, May 1, 2010.

1. JohnMAC1 macrumors newbie

Sorry, new to this jailbreak process.

So when the jailbreak comes out will I be able to upload files from my iPad to internet sites?

2. JohnMAC1 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

well there already something for the iphone to download things so prob something soon for upload.

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

The iPhone has been out for a while as has jb and I could find few applications that allow you to upload files to an internet site. There are specialized apps that support things like uploading pictures to Twitter and iShare which requires the use of a certain web site.

So, odds are, unless one of these 2 products meet your needs, the answer is no.

5. MikhailT macrumors 601

Are you talking going to sites like imgur,picbucket and uploading pics via Safari? Or are you also talking about different type of files uploading to file sharing sites?

If so, nope. Jailbreak won't help with that, not with Safari or anything like that. What Jailbreak can give you is the ability to download FTP clients for you to download/upload, SSH clients and so on.

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I think the answer is likely to be no, because the iPad doesn't have a dedicated file system, so there will be no easy way for the application to be able to access your files. It's unlikely, but might be something that Apple themselves implement in the future (distant future maybe).

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

Sighs. iPad does have a dedicated file system, what you mean is that it doesn't have an accessible common folder for every sandboxed application to access. Jailbreak means you can break out of the jail that Apple instill upon you when using iPhone/iPad. Jailbreak will let you download applications like ssh,ftp and so on where you can switch to any directory including root on the device. You can upload/download using those apps.

8. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Yep, that's why I said there's no easy way to access the files. The user can hunt through the (what is supposed to be) non-accessible file system to find stuff, but it's a convoluted process for most people, and certainly for normal use.

9. kepner macrumors 6502

It's certainly possible, since jailbreaking gives (non-appstore) apps access to the entire filesystem. But I don't know of any app that is able submit a file through a form field yet.

I'm curious what types of files you have on your iPad that you'd like to be able to "upload"?