iPad jailbreak: Why? (I have my iPhone 4s jailbroken)

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by HXGuy, Jan 21, 2012.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Can you guys share why you have your iPad's jailbroken? Like...what are some must haves that make it worth while? I'm thinking of maybe jailbreaking my iPad 2 but I'm not sure if there is really a good reason.

On my iPhone, I use LockInfo, SBSettings and MyWi which I think are very popular with everyone that jailbreaks their phone. What are the "must have" jailbreaks for the iPad?

2. mclovin604 macrumors newbie

same reasons you have your iphone jailbroken.

:rolleyes:

3. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Thought maybe there were some extra stuff you could do on a jailbroken iPad that maybe you can't on the phone.

I don't find that on the iPad I need the quick access to info like I do on the phone (LockInfo). Same with SBSettings...the only thing I ever need quick access to is the brightness and the iPad already has that built into the multitasking bar at the bottom.

----------

For example, doing some searching, I've found something called BTstack Bluetooth Mouse control which adds a cursor to the iPad. That seems pretty useful, especially if you remote log in to your desktop. That seems pretty useful and a good reason to jailbreak the iPad.

4. z7tjxd45 macrumors member

Same reasons why you have your iPhone jailbroken :rolleyes:

Sorry but you asked for it. Also, people make it sound like you have to run through a gauntlet and back to jailbreak an iDevice. There's nothing to loose. You said you don't use your lockscreen, NoLockScreen tweak. The current real-estate on SB is terrible, customize it and ass 5x5, 7x7 icons; 5,6,7 icon dock.

Etc......

5. Quazimojo macrumors regular

Quazimojo

As you said they make it out like its some multi hour task when it is a matter of a few minutes of time, then you open your device up to a world of possibilities only a Jailbreak can offer.

I would probably ask someone the opposite question, why would you not want to Jailbreak ?.

You could install one thing from Cydia which to yourself can change the entire aspect of the device.

This is why people buy an iDevice then wait from that moment on, praying someone frees the device from the chains of Apple.

6. kimlo macrumors member

Infinifolders, Iconalism (6x6 or 5x5, - 4x4 is horrible for iPad), 6 dock, get the default clock and weather apps that Apple leave out for no reason.

Retinapad which alone is worth jailbreaking for.

What else? I don't know but I'll have fun finding out :)

7. number84 macrumors 6502

what's the package name for the default clock app?

8. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not saying it in a way as if "You shouldn't jailbreak your iPad"...didn't mean to come off that way if that's how it sounded. Like I said, I jailbroke my iPhone no problem.

Just wanted to see if there was something really great people are doing on their iPad that I'm missing out by not jailbreaking. Someone said why not jailbreak...one reason is some apps now can detect the jailbreak and no longer work, one of them is the DirecTV app from what I've read, and I use that.

9. kimlo macrumors member

ATM there's no default clock app that actually works with the iPad 2 iOS 5+ :(
    But I reckon that will be fixed by someone real quick to have the default app ported.

10. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same page as OP. I jb'd my iPhone and have had some issues with tweaks not working, paid apps having bugs, random resprings, activator not working properly. I don't mind having to toy with my iPhone from time to time to get it working since I always have it and am around it but I use my iPad at school and for leisure. I don't want to have to fix it when I decide to pick it up. Retinapad has always seem nice to get, and I would love to be able to use the screen real estate more efficiently. Are there a lot of compatible status bar tweaks?

11. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

If I understand it right, Retinapad makes iPhone apps look better on the iPad?

Do that many people have iPhone apps on their iPad? I don't have one...I download the iPad version and if there isn't one, I chalk it up as "oh we'll, there isn't one available".

12. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Top things for me:

Nolockscreen
    Ifile to copy files from sd card camera kit
    Slingplayer tweak to allow older slingbox to work
    Infinidock for 8 folders on dock
    Sbsettings

13. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Belfry from BigBoss. It's free.

14. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Dimmer alone is worth it for me, since I use my iPad in the dark every night. It lets you dim the screen below the very bright minimum Apple sets.

Also BrowserChanger - finally, things don't open in safari!

IFile has also come in handy several times.

15. Zcott macrumors 68020

I did th opposite to the OP: I jailbroke my iPad but not my iPhone. Browsing is much nicer without ads.

16. ctbear macrumors 6502a

For me: Browser changer, Retinapad, Insomnia and Iconoclasm.

17. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

18. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Installous (saved myself hundreds of dollars)
    Barrel (transitions)
    Springtomize (Customization)

19. ChristIsLORD macrumors member

Why are these Goddamn pirates always so stupid (ie to both not pay for apps and tell the world about it)?

I feel sorry for the developers you screwed out of 99c hundreds of times.

20. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

21. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

Lmfao...... at least this person is being honest(to themselves) that they don't pay for apps.