Ipad jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by shamip, Jul 11, 2010.

1. shamip macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

If I jailbreak my Ipad 'running 3.2 now', and if Apple releases newr OS, will I still be able to use the restore from back up on itunes to bring the ipad to unjailbroken 3.2 and then upgrade? or i will be screwed up? I don't care to lose my jailbreak applications.
    I don't understand what meant by Apple stop signing older OS version when new OS comes up. So not sure if my question is related to that?

Thanks

2. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Apple will tell us when the new software is going to be released so you will have time just before the release to restore then use a backup, btw simply upgrading on a jailbroken device will work but it will remove the jailbreak obviously.

What I advise you to do is download spirit on spiritjb.com, jailbreak it, launch cydia and choose make my life easier in the top left hand corner which will back up your SHSH blobs incase you want to downgrade to 3.2 once a new software is out. And away you go like a happy chap. Have fun!

3. shamip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thaks Geoff,

So you mean if I jailbreak now and after new OS relesed, If I upgrade to new OS withoute backing SHSH blobs, my device will work but it will remove the jailbreak correct?

4. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

That is correct. SHSH blobs being saved only gives you the option to downgrade to an older software once apple stops signing it.

5. wdybt? macrumors newbie

wdybt?

sorry to jump in ur topic but i used jailbreak spirit with my 9.2 itunes and now my ipad rebooth for so long (about 15 now still reboothing)
    is that normal?

6. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Oh no didn't you do some research before you jailbroke. Using spirit on iTunes 9.2 puts your device in a infinite boot loop. Comex warns everyone on the website " Dont use spirit with iTunes 9.2 "

I have no idea how to help you, apartantly running spirit twice can get out of this boot loop but I'm not sure. Try put the device in DFU mode.

7. joker3001 macrumors newbie

joker3001

8. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

A lot of people are reporting that they can't get the device into DFU mode

9. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Epic fail. :eek: You really need to do some research when jail breaking an iDevice, especially when a new version of iTunes was recently released.

10. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

I have a different sort of question but I didnt want to start a new thread for fear of being tarred, feathered & run outa town on a rail, so...

Please edumacate me about who writes the jailbreaks.

By that I mean, when I 1st jailbroke my iPhone 1 1/2 years ago I used Pwnage.
    Since then Ive jailbroken several times & used several different programs to achieve the same results.

Now, it seem that all eyes are on the Spirit JB.

Whats happened to the other people that wrote the JB's before. Have they retired, given up or just simply lost interest & stopped trying?

Why is it, as far as I can tell, that only one person or group of persons is involved in future JB's?

11. andried22 macrumors newbie

Ipad jailbrake

Hey guys,

i have upgraded my ipad 32GB WI-FI to 3.2.2 Version......

is there a jailbrake for it???

Thank you

12. rrpalma macrumors member

Unfortunately, not yet.

13. staninfrance macrumors newbie

How will I get my Cydia apps back after upgrading?

Hi, young uns: Please forgive me for the gaps in my knowledge. I’m a 78 year-old quasi-geek who has always loved gadgets and tweaking around. I jailbroke my ipad. It works perfectly. I have spent a lot of time downloading and organizing Cydia apps and putting them in folders.

Soon, I believe, an iPad upgrade will come out. I expect it to come out in September 2010. If I upgrade, I’ll lose all my Cydia apps. I did the “make my life easier” bit when I jailbroke my iPad, but I don’t understand something.

Assuming I want to upgrade my iPad in September or whenever, specifically how can I do that and not lose my Cydia apps, or at least be able to get them back on the device easily?

Do I have to downgrade to 3.2? If so, what’s the purpose up upgrading in the first place? That’s what I don’t understand. I hope you understand my question.

A little later. I did some additional research and found a site that pretty much answers my questions. However, the process of restoring the Cydia apps seems quite complicated to this man's mind. Maybe if I read it a couple of times it will make more sense. Anyhow, here is the link to an explanation about restoring apps.

http://maketecheasier.com/backup-iphone-cydia-application/2010/07/16

Thank you.

14. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Well now you have a nice expensive Cuttingboard.

15. staninfrance macrumors newbie

An expensive cutting board?

Hugodrax: Was your "expensive cuttingboard" comment directed at me? You weren't specific.

If so, I must say, "au contraire." I have a jailbroken iPad that works exactly the way I hoped. I have no complaints nor problems. My only questions were related to upgrades.

If it's possible, I may merely avoid future upgrades. Based on my experience, the jailbreaking community provides me with everything I want, so what more can I ask for?

I know what I can ask for. That Steve Jobs think more like his ex-partner and co-founder, Steve Wozniak, and not be so selfish.

Cheers,

Stan