iPad Joining the Buyers Guide Soon?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Mac'nCheese, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Whoever runs the buyer's guide on this site (which I love, btw): will you be adding the iPad anytime soon to it? Would like to start my countdown to rev 2 with your Buy Only If You Need it....Dont Buy....Updates Soon..... headlines.

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

this is like asking what people's plans are for New Year's Eve in June. can't you just start the countdown yourself? I'll start you off. 1 year...364 days...363...362...

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Given that there is no history of product releases yet, we can't possibly offer predictions of when to expect revisions. So you're not likely to see it in our Buyer's Guide until we have some sort of track record with which to predict future releases.

4. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

If you don't like my simple question why don't you just go to another thread instead of posting a stupid answer like that.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you thought about your question for more than 2 seconds, you'd realize that what you were asking wasn't possible given the lack of a release history.

6. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i disagree.

that second post was totally inappropriate. would completely classify as a post that isnt allowed on macrumors if we go by that lovely long list of things that aren't allowed, but whos counting. The initial question was when would it be placed on the guide. you can still put it on the guide and track when it was last updated and just put a question mark or NA for if you should buy or not.

things tend to get done around here just a little slow. ipad forums dedicated solely for ipads werent established until basically the product was released.

7. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Really? With all the rumors, news releases, press conferences about new products its completely impossible to make an educated guess about an apple product? Maybe you are the one who needs to think a little or perhaps you just like acting like a tough guy on internet.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Please provide links to the rumors surrounding the release date of the next iPad release.

In any case, the Buyer's Guide is not based on rumors, it's based on history. Read and comprehend.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I predict that there will be a release in July. Link.

Seriously though, it's not time to add it yet. The buyer's guide works by showing the time between releases and any recent rumours for a new release. Since we have neither of those, there's really no reason to add it to the guide yet. It'll turn up eventually, so be patient :)

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Joke taken, but technically that wouldn't make it into the Buyer's Guide anyways since it's not a new revision.

11. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

P.S. There are plenty of rumors already. Just google search and you get articles like:

http://theweek.com/article/index/105865/the-next-ipad-already

that predicted this past Feb. an announcement this month. And most importantly:

"This page provides a product summary for each Apple model. The intent is to provide our best recommendations regarding current product cycles, and to provide a summary of currently available rumors for each model.

Extra information and recommendations are available for each product on their individual Buyer's Guide pages, which are linked to at the top of that product's section on this page.

Disclaimer: This page is based on rumors and speculation and we provide no guarantee to its accuracy. We take no responsibility for purchase decisions made based on this information. "

So i guess your comment that this page is not based on rumors is wrong. You tell me to read and comprehend? You can't even comprehend the introduction to the buyers guide.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The articles linked on the Buyer's Guide are based on rumors, but the purchase recommendations themselves are based strictly on intervals between past releases and do not factor in any rumors.

And a general note to several posters in this thread...take a breath and a step back. Jumping down each others' throats helps no one and will only earn people enforced vacations from the forums if it keeps up.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Thanks for clearing that up, WC. Perhaps that was the explanation stevensteven123 was looking for.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

MODS pls read. The next iPad.

I have pasted my reply to another thread requesting information on the next iPad series. Due to the fact that much of the forum is now being compromised with repeated questions, I request the moderators to create a sticky and add an "iPad" category under the Buyer's Guide. Some of the advice I feel is best relevant is pasted below, I understand if you and many may not agree (afterall we all have our own opinions).

--Begin Paste--
    To say this as nicely as I can without getting ticked off from these repeated threads: Apple generally refreshes their products once a year. Considering the fact that the iPad has been a successful hit and is still stockless in many places, it's highly doubtful Apply will even refresh it next Spring, forget this Fall. My best guess, as I have been a long time follower of Apple devices, is that Apple will refresh the iPad series in Spring 2012 or Fall 2011. Macrumors has created a tab called the "Buyer's Guide" on the top right. Keep a look into that as they tend to provide their expert predictions (many of which match up with mine and with those who tend to follow Apple devices for a long time).

Therefore, in GIST:
    Is iPad going to be refreshed this year? No.
    Is iPad going to get 512 MB RAM or higher? Yes and most likely in the next refresh.
    Is iPad going to get Retina display? I honestly cannot answer this as it'll be very expensive for Apple to implement this technology for a much larger screen than the iPhone.
    Is iPad going to get a camera, if not 2? I can certainly say yes to implement the Facetime technology, and even if not, to implement the video chatting technology.

P.S. I answered some of the most common questions above with my best guess. I don't have prove and can only provide expert predictions based on Apple's cycle over the past 6-7 years.
    --End Paste--

15. kellenm macrumors newbie

Had the same question

To TP, I had the same question. I see that you were ridiculed a bit for this post but I found it useful, thanks.

16. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

17. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

The Buyer's Guide will not be updated until AFTER the next release because only then will there have been a full cycle

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The buyers guide is based off actual release dates, not speculation

Speculation serves no interest as it isn't concrete by any means

Given that there is not a revision for the ipad yet, you can't make a guide as to when it will be released

Edit: love when I see I am replying to old posts. My bad lol

19. jimfu macrumors newbie

Now that iPad2 rumours are picking up pace a little, it would be nice to be able to see them in one place. If you really don't want to create a buyers guide, would you be able to create a link as you have with the other apple products. e.g. macrumors.com/ipad/ ?

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can always just type "ipad" into the the "Search Site" box at the top right of the main news page. That'll give you essentially the same list of articles you'd get if we had a dedicated ipad.macrumors.com subdomain like we do for other products.