iPad just a big iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WRXHokie, Jan 28, 2010.

1. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

It looks to me the iPad is just a bigger version of the iPod Touch. The only difference is it includes 3G if you want it. Someone help me, what the difference?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Saying the iPad is "just" a big iPod Touch is like saying the Pacific Ocean is "just" a big aquarium. Sometimes size makes a difference.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, and that's been the bulk of the criticism, less capable then a laptop but only marginally better then an ipod touch, i.e., bigger screen.

5. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

Yes, and other than 3G and a bigger screen it looks the same to me, thats why I asked.

6. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

Okay, then I'm not the only one scratching their head on this one.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

One of the differences is that most of the apps on it have been rewritten to use the bigger screen, giving it a much better user experience than the touch.

8. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Isn't that what the "2X" button is for? So devs don't have to do a complete rewrite for the iPad?

9. bob a macrumors newbie

Giant iphone

its a giant iphone that doesn't have a camera and oh yeah, you cant make a call from it.= (although i'm sure an ap that will allow this is coming)
    Some one has got to come out with I Pants that have giant pockets so you can carry this thing around.

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well it also has a much better processor, battery life, and built in microphone. Along with a 1024x768 resolution. I'm assuming it will have more ram than the iPod touch. As another post has stated, the new screen size and processor allows for newly written apps giving a more viewable display for the apps and allowing for more capablities.

EDIT:
    No, it's not. If it was a giant phone then it would come with 3G standard and as far as we know the 3G model doesn't support phone calls. Although, it would clearly be really easy to make a phone call using Skype or iCall. And you mean "iPants.:

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Right, so the iPad can run virtually any of the 140,000 existing apps.

But to the OPs' question about "What's the difference between the iPad and the iPod touch", if you go and look at how mail, photos, the iTunes/App/iBook stores, calendar, etc. have been rewritten to run on the iPad's larger screen, there's an absolute difference there. They give an entirely different user experience, not just the iPod touch experience with the "2X" button pressed.

12. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

iPad name... iTouch

Wish they would have renamed the current iTouch - the "iTouch Mini" and then given the iPad the name "iTouch". I just don't like the name iPad, weird but I can't get past it. I agree its just a big iTouch. Plus a front facing camera and sd card slot would have been awesome... Hope its there on Gen2.

13. sfmountainbiker macrumors regular

The 2x feature is so that the new device will hit the ground running with available apps (unlike the iPhone/iTouch). However, they fully expect new apps to be written utilizing the increased computing power and screen/touchpad surface. It will take a year for all the amazing apps to be developed and marketed that differentiate the two products. Then Rev B/C will come out and better specs and new camera/chat abilities that will spur new apps and sales.

I am dissapointed by the specs of the Rev A iPad though...1Ghz is not impressive, and if the RAM is truly 265MB then I am even a bit embarrased for the underwhelming iPad.

I don't know why people scream for multitasking capabilities...the hardware simply wouldn't support it!

14. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Considering lesser powered smartphones can multitask, I would say the iPad hardware definitely could. The CPU in the iPad is just a modified version of a CPU that's already prevalent in many phones out now.

Apple chose to not allow the OS to multitask for whatever reason.

15. bluefox9er macrumors regular

I'd have to agree with you..and whilst there's nothing *wrong* with a super sized ipod touch, the ipad could have At the VERY least had a USB :-( or a disc to watch movies with.

as an ebook reader, if I had the choice to buy a REAL book for $14.99 or an e-book for $14.98 I'd buy the real book every single time..

16. BobHail macrumors 6502a

17. oTaRu macrumors regular

sorry to ask a question over here...

is the iPad running on a modified 3.1.2 ver iPhone OS??

18. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

It's running iPhone OS 3.2.

19. oTaRu macrumors regular

thanks for the reply... are iPhone/ iPod touch users going to enjoy OS 3.2?

20. Ozzhead macrumors member

It has adapters to read the cards from the camera's. But still no adapter into a plain USB port is disappointing.

21. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

Lets all get this out in the open so we can move on. IT'S A BIG ***** IPOD TOUCH. Repeat it again slowly this time. Does everyone feel better now?

Are we going to buy one. HELL YES because we have always dreamed about an ipod touch on a large screen and guess what that's what we got.
    For those bitching, they cant really afford it anyway. My advice is go get a real job that pays and then you can join the millions of others that will own this thing.

If you still cant comprehend then slowly repeat IT'S A BIG IPOD TOUCH.

22. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

The Camera Connect Kit has a USB to dock adapter that allows you to connect a camera directly to the iPad to transfer photos. It also includes a dock to SD card adapter so you can transfer directly from a SD card.

We don't know a lot about file transfers, but it was noted in the announcement that with iWork you will be able to store files and sync with computer.

It does have video out.

It plays H.264 video at 720p.

The iPad is Bluetooth compatible, and you can use the existing Bluetooth keyboard with the iPad.

23. oTaRu macrumors regular

i wish they have multi card reader instead of the SD card reader...

24. M87 macrumors 65816

Yeah, it is pretty much a bigger, more powerful iPod Touch. I think the size makes a world of difference though. It changes everything about where and how people will use it and what kind of apps will be made for it.

25. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

As of now, we know that it has File Sharing where you can mount it on a mac, which is how they would transfer iWork documents I would assume