iPad just a big iPod Touch?

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
New Jersey
It looks to me the iPad is just a bigger version of the iPod Touch. The only difference is it includes 3G if you want it. Someone help me, what the difference?

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2006
Saying the iPad is "just" a big iPod Touch is like saying the Pacific Ocean is "just" a big aquarium. Sometimes size makes a difference.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
It looks to me the iPad is just a bigger version of the iPod Touch.
Yep, and that's been the bulk of the criticism, less capable then a laptop but only marginally better then an ipod touch, i.e., bigger screen.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
One of the differences is that most of the apps on it have been rewritten to use the bigger screen, giving it a much better user experience than the touch.
Isn't that what the "2X" button is for? So devs don't have to do a complete rewrite for the iPad?

bob a

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Giant iphone

its a giant iphone that doesn't have a camera and oh yeah, you cant make a call from it.= (although i'm sure an ap that will allow this is coming)
Some one has got to come out with I Pants that have giant pockets so you can carry this thing around.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Well it also has a much better processor, battery life, and built in microphone. Along with a 1024x768 resolution. I'm assuming it will have more ram than the iPod touch. As another post has stated, the new screen size and processor allows for newly written apps giving a more viewable display for the apps and allowing for more capablities.

EDIT:
its a giant iphone that doesn't have a camera and oh yeah, you cant make a call from it.= (although i'm sure an ap that will allow this is coming)
Some one has got to come out with I Pants that have giant pockets so you can carry this thing around.
No, it's not. If it was a giant phone then it would come with 3G standard and as far as we know the 3G model doesn't support phone calls. Although, it would clearly be really easy to make a phone call using Skype or iCall. And you mean "iPants.:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Isn't that what the "2X" button is for? So devs don't have to do a complete rewrite for the iPad?
Right, so the iPad can run virtually any of the 140,000 existing apps.

But to the OPs' question about "What's the difference between the iPad and the iPod touch", if you go and look at how mail, photos, the iTunes/App/iBook stores, calendar, etc. have been rewritten to run on the iPad's larger screen, there's an absolute difference there. They give an entirely different user experience, not just the iPod touch experience with the "2X" button pressed.

anthemus

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Denver
iPad name... iTouch

Wish they would have renamed the current iTouch - the "iTouch Mini" and then given the iPad the name "iTouch". I just don't like the name iPad, weird but I can't get past it. I agree its just a big iTouch. Plus a front facing camera and sd card slot would have been awesome... Hope its there on Gen2.

sfmountainbiker

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
Right, so the iPad can run virtually any of the 140,000 existing apps.

But to the OPs' question about "What's the difference between the iPad and the iPod touch", if you go and look at how mail, photos, the iTunes/App/iBook stores, calendar, etc. have been rewritten to run on the iPad's larger screen, there's an absolute difference there. They give an entirely different user experience, not just the iPod touch experience with the "2X" button pressed.

The 2x feature is so that the new device will hit the ground running with available apps (unlike the iPhone/iTouch). However, they fully expect new apps to be written utilizing the increased computing power and screen/touchpad surface. It will take a year for all the amazing apps to be developed and marketed that differentiate the two products. Then Rev B/C will come out and better specs and new camera/chat abilities that will spur new apps and sales.

I am dissapointed by the specs of the Rev A iPad though...1Ghz is not impressive, and if the RAM is truly 265MB then I am even a bit embarrased for the underwhelming iPad.

I don't know why people scream for multitasking capabilities...the hardware simply wouldn't support it!

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I don't know why people scream for multitasking capabilities...the hardware simply wouldn't support it!
Considering lesser powered smartphones can multitask, I would say the iPad hardware definitely could. The CPU in the iPad is just a modified version of a CPU that's already prevalent in many phones out now.

Apple chose to not allow the OS to multitask for whatever reason.

bluefox9er

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
It looks to me the iPad is just a bigger version of the iPod Touch. The only difference is it includes 3G if you want it. Someone help me, what the difference?

I'd have to agree with you..and whilst there's nothing *wrong* with a super sized ipod touch, the ipad could have At the VERY least had a USB :-( or a disc to watch movies with.

as an ebook reader, if I had the choice to buy a REAL book for $14.99 or an e-book for $14.98 I'd buy the real book every single time..

oTaRu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2008
sorry to ask a question over here...

is the iPad running on a modified 3.1.2 ver iPhone OS??

Ozzhead

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
No USB Port (you can't connect a camera to download photos to this thing while on vacation. You'll need to take a laptop with you where you got to get the photos, and then later sync them to this device, you can't hook it up to a printer to print off an iWorks project, you cant connect a USB key that has some documents stored etc)
It has adapters to read the cards from the camera's. But still no adapter into a plain USB port is disappointing.

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Lets all get this out in the open so we can move on. IT'S A BIG ***** IPOD TOUCH. Repeat it again slowly this time. Does everyone feel better now?

Are we going to buy one. HELL YES because we have always dreamed about an ipod touch on a large screen and guess what that's what we got.
For those bitching, they cant really afford it anyway. My advice is go get a real job that pays and then you can join the millions of others that will own this thing.

If you still cant comprehend then slowly repeat IT'S A BIG IPOD TOUCH.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2006
The Camera Connect Kit has a USB to dock adapter that allows you to connect a camera directly to the iPad to transfer photos. It also includes a dock to SD card adapter so you can transfer directly from a SD card.

We don't know a lot about file transfers, but it was noted in the announcement that with iWork you will be able to store files and sync with computer.

It does have video out.

It plays H.264 video at 720p.

The iPad is Bluetooth compatible, and you can use the existing Bluetooth keyboard with the iPad.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, it is pretty much a bigger, more powerful iPod Touch. I think the size makes a world of difference though. It changes everything about where and how people will use it and what kind of apps will be made for it.

mackmgg

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2007
The Camera Connect Kit has a USB to dock adapter that allows you to connect a camera directly to the iPad to transfer photos. It also includes a dock to SD card adapter so you can transfer directly from a SD card.

We don't know a lot about file transfers, but it was noted in the announcement that with iWork you will be able to store files and sync with computer.

It does have video out.

It plays H.264 video at 720p.

The iPad is Bluetooth compatible, and you can use the existing Bluetooth keyboard with the iPad.
As of now, we know that it has File Sharing where you can mount it on a mac, which is how they would transfer iWork documents I would assume