iPad: Keeping Your Unlimited Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clayj, Jun 4, 2010.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I just called AT&T, because I had a question about whether changing your credit card information will in any way affect your ability to keep your unlimited data plan. (Answer: It won't.)

While I was on the phone with them, I asked specifically, "What would I have to do in order to LOSE my unlimited data plan?" The answer I received is that you would have to click CANCEL PLAN and cancel your data plan, or drop down to a lower data plan, in order to lose the unlimited data plan. Changing your credit card info, billing or service address, etc. will NOT cause you to lose the unlimited data plan, according to the AT&T rep. So: DON'T CLICK "CANCEL PLAN".

Also: If you get a new iPad, the procedure to follow is to call AT&T and have them transfer your unlimited data plan from the old iPad's SIM number and IMEI number to the *new* iPad's SIM number and IMEI number. If you do this, you can transfer your unlimited data plan.

Hope this helps!

2. Jennaroo macrumors newbie

How to actually do the switch

Hi, I just need some help. My friend doesn't need her unlimited 3G iPad plan. I would somehow like to get it on my iPad. What steps should I take? Also, I need to send in my old iPad to gazelle, they're buying it, but I will not have the new one yet. Should I try to get my friends data plan now, if so, will it automatically be on my new iPad, or should I wait to try to switch with her till I actually get the new iPad. Any help would be appreciated. Jenny

3. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I don't think a new person can take over the unlimited plan. Your plan would have to be in the friends name, like she bought a new iPad and switched it.

4. SCY121 macrumors newbie

Question

If I have an unlimited ipad sim I know I can use it in the new iPAd and keep the unlimited data, but what if I already set up a plan on the new ipad?

Can I cancel the new plan and then insert the old unlimited sim and have unlimited data on the new ipad?

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

6. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

this is the way to do it and you CAN change the person just enter the new info