Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snail22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
My iPad keeps randomly switching the format of telephone numbers in Contacts and Messages for absolutely no reason. I want to keep it in US format. Is it possible my contacts are stored on iCloud in the wrong format? I know how to go into the Language and Regions settings and switch the Region out of and back to USA, but this only fixes it temporarily.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
when you say the "format" of telephone numbers, are you talking specifically on telephone numbers appearing with the international dialing prefix?
are numbers appearing like: +1 (123) 123-1234? instead of just (123) 123-1234 ?

you might want to visit iCloud.com Contacts pane, and in Preferences see what the region is set to there, and, if the box indicating automatic format to match that region is clicked.

and, on yr iPhone, look under Phone and see if Dial Assist is clicked on.

Last edited:

snail22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Yes, the problem is that the phone numbers are grouped incorrectly as if they were European numbers. I checked the iCloud.com settings and the numbers display correctly, as they also do on my MacBook, so it seems not to be an iCloud issue. I then reset all settings on my iPad, which fixed the formatting but again only temporarily. What’s even weirder is that it’s not consistent with the format... some are 3+3+3+1, some are 3+3+2+2, some 2+3+3+2...

I suppose I’ll try wiping all my data next, unless someone has a better idea.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I would like to see a screenshot. It's difficult to understand what you're seeing without one.

snail22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
phone numbers in the US are grouped 3+3+4, ex. 123-123-1234... as you can see my iPad (which I purchased in the US) insists on using a different grouping

D2E1CA57-3EC3-4127-85FF-385DB29E3F0D.jpeg

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Random questions:

1. Is cellular data turned on? Could it be picking up regional settings from your carrier? Does your iPad show a cellular data number in Settings > General > About?

2. In Settings > FaceTime, is the format of your own telephone number correct? (if so, it's probably system wide and not just the Contacts app)

3. Do you have any Screen Time functions turned on that might be locking your ability to change region settings?

snail22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
I think you nailed it with #1... my SIM card was still picking up an expired European GigSky data plan I had purchased a long time ago. I just contacted GigSky and they're gonna try to get rid of it. I'm almost certain this is the issue, especially since I just did a factory reset of my iPad and it didn't fix the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.