iPad keyboard fail..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mmmtastybusch, Jan 18, 2012.

1. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

Has anyone else noticed how bad the split keyboard is to use in the Facebook app? It puts the text box below and halfway behind the on screen keyboard making it near impossible to read what you type as you're typing it... I haven't noticed it in any other apps, so I don't know if it's something that Facebook did or if it's an iOS issue. Anyone else notice this?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah because I consider Apple's design of their split keyboard being in the way of FB to be a failure.
    :rolleyes:

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Why not send FaceBook some feedback about it? That's the only way it will get fixed.

4. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

Jessica did you read the part where I said I didn't know if it was Facebook or iOS? I was simply asking if anyone else has noticed it? And is it only the Facebook app?

Next time read the whole paragraph before you post useless, snide remarks lol

5. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

How on earth could you not figure out if it was iOS or Facebook that was causing the problem? Wow. Learn 2 computer.

6. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

I've had the same thing happen to me and it's only when I'm using Facebook. I tried the split keyboard in other applications and it worked fine. I hope this helps!

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you try repositioning the split keyboard? It can be slid up and down to almost anywhere on screen.

8. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

No I didn't know I could reposition it, I'll give that a try! although I still feel like they should have the text box above the keyboard. I'll have to email the app dev. now that I know it's the app for sure. Thanks for the coherent and helpful responses amid the couple of mindless, rabid fanboy posts lol :p

EDIT: I tried to slide it up and down and couldn't figure it out, how do I go about doing this?

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But I'm a girl, clearly.

And yes, I read the paragraph and I simply don't think it's a iPad "fail" as you call it. :rolleyes:

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think the app dev can do anything about where the split keyboard is positioned, it's up to the user to position it.

Press and hold the "keyboard up/down" button at the bottom right of the keyboard, and you should be able to slide the keyboard up and down. Or you can position it as you split the keyboard -- when you pull apart the keyboard with your thumbs, also pull up or down as well as sideways.

11. mmmtastybusch, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

You know, I had a whole paragraph typed up about people like you that make newbies to a device that come to forums for help feel unwelcome with sarcastic comments rather than helping them, but I have a feeling it wouldn't sink in. Best of luck to you. ;)

Nice, just got it to work. I guess I just don't understand why they didn't make the text box above the keyboard instead of below it, it's hard to believe they don't have a way to do it and it's definitely counter-intuitive IMO. It's been my only disappointment so far, everything else is perfect with the app to iPad integration

12. matttye macrumors 601

I didn't know you could slide the keyboard up and down either! Quite handy :)

13. mertyz macrumors regular

mertyz

For future reference, if you see three parallel lines together somewhere on the screen of any device, it means that item can be moved.

14. matttye macrumors 601

15. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Yes I noticed this. It also covers the send or submit box or whatever, so you have to hide the keyboard to find it. Even then it sometimes doesn't "reposition" itself, so you have to close out of the app and go back in to see it.

This is on Facebooks end. They don't have a great track record of making decent updates, so it'll be awhile before this gets fixed..

16. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Iirc word was that the app was developed eons ago but its release was held up for a variety of reasons. If so, it could simply be that the development of the app predates some of the split keyboard stuff. Does anyone know which version of iOS it first appeared in? I don't recall it being there all along.