iPad keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr M5, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

Does the iPad have the ability to learn words the way my android phone does? Or will it with ios5?

Also, there is no way of changing the keyboard correct?

2. allmanbrother macrumors member

iOS will eventually begin to autofill with words it didn't previously "know", and in iOS 5 you will be able to switch to a split keyboard. Other than that, no.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

in japanese it learns. but, in english i don't use auto correct, so i wouldn't know.

4. Mouseinhat macrumors newbie

My iPad 1 has learnt all the obscure words I use easily.
    Stuck with only one keyboard though.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

iOS has had the ability to Words since forever lol

6. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Learn words?

My iPad doesn't seem to be doing it.?

7. Rubo Draco macrumors regular

check in here
    iOS 5 features

I think they have mention that you can enable/disable check spelling and autocorrect options with iOS 5

8. jsh1120, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

jsh1120 macrumors 65816

There may be some improvements in "learning" words in iOS 5. And there is a "split" keyboard available to make "thumbing" easier on the larger iPad virtual keyboard.

However, neither feature is remotely comparable to that available in the Android environment where at least a dozen different keyboards with distinctly different designs exist and word prediction is far more advanced.

Frankly, however, I don't find either of these weaknesses is nearly as problematic on the iPad as on the much smaller phone keyboards. For example, while Swype can be a a huge advantage on a tiny keyboard, it isn't nearly as efficient on the larger screen real estate of the iPad. Likewise, Swift Key's excellent predictive word choices on an Android phone is a great feature. But on a nearly full size keyboard, constantly lifting one's fingers to confirm a word choice is not necessarily more efficient than simply completing the word.

Personally, I hate the iPad's onscreen keyboard. And for any extended typing I use a bluetooth keyboard. But for short text messages and entering an occasional url or login, it suffices.

9. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, no I mean the iPad on screen keyboard.

10. allup macrumors newbie

The keyboard has no battery of its own, instead it uses the iPad's one.