iPad+Kindle for reading

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacBH928, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I hope this is the right forum.

I am planning to get the iPad 3, and since I am doing more reading lately. I was wondering if any one uses an iPad+kindle for reading.

A kindle costs only $80 and its SUPER for reading only and the battery lasts forever, not to mention its about the only reading device you would want to buy that will last you a lifetime.

Now that the iPad Retina display is out. Any one feels that the kindle is still better for reading only?

My major problem with iPad is that the screen is too bright in dark rooms, even if you switch it to night mode.

2. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

The Kindle will always be better for reading compared to a backlit LCD screen on a tablet that weighs 650g. The iPad is almost triple the weight, and much larger, where as the Kindle is basically your average book format, extremely easy to hold 1 handed, and doesnt hurt anywhere near as much when you drop it on your face whilst reading in bed :cool:

3. jack1123 macrumors newbie

I don't like direct comparison between the two, they're made for different things. The Kindle will always be better for reading. Although, with the new iPad screen set to the black background with white writing and low backlight I don't find it at all uncomfortable to read, and I really like to be able to read without a bedside lamp on, so this is a big plus for the iPad for me.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I'm surprised you find it to bright - I have my iPad1 brightness at about 25%, and then set the brightness in the kindle app at 50% for daytime reading, and way down on the app itself depending on my eyes. I read on the sepia setting too.

Maybe the 2 & 3 are brighter?

I really want the 3 for night reading - i'm hoping I can ditch my reading glasses again! LOL!!

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Having owned both for years I find that I do 90% of my reading on the iPad and use the Kindle for outdoor reading and vacations.

6. jojoba macrumors 68000

I use both.

I use my iPad2 to read and annotate academic articles and other work related papers. E-ink readers just don't cut it for scrolling through large pdf documents, highlighting, adding text etc in an efficient manner. It was one of the primary reasons why I got my iPad and it's perfect for that - it's helped me go near paperless at the office.

I use my Kindle (and Sony reader) for all recreational reading. I love the light weight, the e-ink screen and the long battery life.

7. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

LOLOL!!!!!

OMG I know what you mean! I have done that with just a reg hard cover book! hahahah!!

8. overlyunderme macrumors regular

overlyunderme

I'll be selling my 2nd generation Kindle now that I have my new iPad. I don't read much outdoors, so the Kindle screen advantage there is lost on me.

9. AllCoExPat macrumors newbie

I use both my iPad and an older Kindel for reading. As others have pointed out they are two very different devices and deliver very different experiences. For reading outdoors, the Kindel e-ink screen can't be beat IMO. Compact size and negligible weight in my briefcase make it my go-to device when I want to read on a plane or subway. At home or reading in low light environments, it's iPad all the way. With OTA syncing, its easy to just pick up where you left off with whichever device fits your needs at any given moment.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.