iPad launch Sweden?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fivenotrump, Aug 18, 2010.

1. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

No word yet. I have a friend who works for Apple over there and he hasn't heard either. Visited recently and saw a bunch of iPads on the streets.

3. fivenotrump thread starter macrumors 6502

november

according to 'the local'. Consistent with release 4.2 of iOS

4. WiseDuck macrumors member

WiseDuck

Its insanely annoying that we still don't have it here. It shouldn't have to take this damn long when the iPhone 4 was released merely weeks after the US launch. I had to import mine from Germany, and even after paying for shipping and whatnot it was STILL cheaper than buying it locally from others who bought theirs abroad.

5. miamijim macrumors 6502

Same here I live in Finland and had to import mine from the US back in April.

Still happy I did as it is still an amazing piece of kit.

6. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

Am surprised they still haven't realised for the rest of the countries like Sweden. Maybe they think it's not worth it since the new one is to be released soon?

7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Where is it confirmed that a new one is going to be released soon. Please post the official Apple release and not the FUD release that seems to be so pervasive to those willing to believe anything.

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Well sadly Denmark doesn't have it either I think non of Scandinavia does yet

9. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

That's odd considering that they have caught up with demand. Could it be a licensing issue? Perhaps with the Scandinavian version of the FCC?

10. fivenotrump thread starter macrumors 6502

soon!

Now that iOS for iPad has Nordic keyboards there's no excuse left...

11. miamijim macrumors 6502

OK so as I said I am in Finland and we still do not have it here either.

Neither do Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland... basically all of the Scandanvian countries which if you think about it is pretty weird, considering you can buy it in China, what is wrong with Scandanavia to quote one of the kids at school (I am a Teacher) 'It sucks ass'.

However I went into my local Stockmänn (If you don't know imagine Harvey Nicks Finnish/Swedish style) and what do they have on sale...

Samsung Galaxy Tab.. just sitting there... PRICE 849€!!!!

Now who the hell is gonna pay 849€ for a Samsung Galaxy Tab (Low End) when they will be able to get the 16gb iPad for around 600€....

Also on sale Macbook Air Finnish Price 999€

Now in the US it is 999 Dollars that is 730€ what the hell is going on with these prices.

I imagine importation would put a little on the price but 27% that is taking the piss.

12. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Have you tried emailing SJ?

Although you'll probably get a "soon" type response (if any response comes). :rolleyes:

13. fivenotrump thread starter macrumors 6502

Tax (VAT/MOMS)?

14. Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

I bet that the iPad will be released in Scandinavia this friday :p

15. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I certainly hope so although those stupid danish resellers are gonna price it up high. One reason why I like that Germany is soo close :D

16. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Actually all of the Nordic keys were there originally, just not in an official keyboard setting.

17. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Here is the explanation, my wife is a director at Stockmann by the way, but I digress. Scandinavia and Finland (Nordic actually) while being a sizable market are no where near China. The Nordics are considered European but "all others" as well. The Galaxy Tab is being sold by DNA as well as being offered by the other operators so no surprise there. They want to sell data plans. The reason for the higher price has nothing to do with Apple but everything to do with the Nordic governments and taxes. Be glad your kid can go to college for free, or you can have a triple bi-pass for about €100. There is your higher prices for products and services. Quite simple really when you look at it. Also, I bought a MacBook Air a few days ago, and yes it is more expensive but considering the fact that the EU mandates a two year warranty on products sold, I am pretty happy with this. Also having a friend or three at Apple who can give nice discounts (my Stockmann discount was not as good) makes purchasing Apple things not too bad. Being tax exempt is also nice as well.

18. Bushiboo macrumors member

Any more rumors about the iPad release here in Scandinavia. It is really frustrating that it has not yet been announced, no words at all. The only thing we know is that it will come this year. Alot of swedish media has released their newspapers on iPad this week, but for what cause? There is not even any swedish distributors yet for the ipad, nothing officially. People has just bought the iPad from other countrys.

Now that there are rumors going around about a iPad2 it would only be foolish to buy a first gen iPad when the 2nd gen is coming soon.

19. bobby68 macrumors member

That same day the iPad 2 will be released, there will be rumors about iPad 3...:rolleyes:

20. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

You beat me to it. Great post. Why bother buying anything at all? Just wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, wait and wait and wait, and wait, and wait, and then wait some more.

There will forever be new and improved products. This is part of the game. Surely this can't be that hard to understand.

21. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

What date is soon? It's not on my calendar. The end of the world is coming soon. What day exactly it that as well. Maybe it might come before the iPad2 comes out, then you will have missed the chance to own an iPad. Also, since its launch, there have been a myriad of ways to import an iPad. Namely, Germany, the UK, Italy (I think), just to name a few. If you have been waiting for Apple to think that the Nordic market is big enough for them to take iPads from the more lucrative markets and send them to the Nordics, you truly have no idea how business nor Apple operates.

22. miamijim macrumors 6502

The new iMacs were out here in Finland on the day of release as too was the new MacBook air.

I think this is more than they do not have the stock to place into the nordic markets. I think there is something going on in regards to fallout with companies such as nokia.

To ignore a whole region I appaling, and I do mean ignore not a single word as to when th devices may arrive.

Th Nordic countries especially Finland are supposedly the silicon valley of the north, we have a thriving tech industry yet now feel almost third world due to lack of availability over these iPads...

And yes I realize that is an exaggeration.

23. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I disagree. I too live here in Finland. Helsinki to be exact and I know pretty much all of the guys and gals that work in the Apple shops here. They all say the same thing. The iPad is selling to bigger markets and Finland is just not that big. If I had the chance to sell to China or Finland, I would choose China everyday. Second, Nokia is a non-starter in this issue. They have problems with their so-called iPhone killer phone (N8) and its power issues. As for the iMacs, and MacBook Airs. You do know there is such a thing as pre-release production right? The Airs were in some stores, not all. There was a one week wait for them in Verkkokauppa, and Mac People did not have them so again, while I may understand your frustration, your arguments are not valid. As I said before, the iPad has been out since April. I had one in my hot little hands about a week after it was launched in the US. If anyone wants one bad enough, there are ways to get one.

24. miamijim macrumors 6502

It is not really frustration on my part as i had one shipped on day of release from the US, it is in my opinion very poor business practice to have left it so long for release into the Nordic market when they are available in the rest of Europe. Yes importing can easily be done but does that not kill the domestic nordic market even more.

25. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Well, you have a point but having a spouse that works for a major Finnish retailer comes in handy when asking about situations as such. As I pointed out, if it comes down to selling a million iPads in China or 20K in Finland, it makes much more sense to go with China and leave Finland and the rest of the Nordics to wait. The domestic market is far from dead here in Finland. Considering there are 6 Apple retailers within one kilometer of each other, I would say the market is quite healthy without the iPad.