iPad launched in Korea!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mapmonkey, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Mapmonkey macrumors regular

Let the battle commence!

iPad launched today with a healthy 50000 preorders in the bag. The Galaxy has "sold" 25000 since it's launch. I say "sold" as Samsung figures are notoriously inaccurate. Still this article from Yonhap is rather well balanced for a change, but the media is pretty loaded in favour of the local conglomerates so who knows what the press will be saying over the next few weeks.

Local websites are pretty Apple unfriendly with flash and active x all over the place, but those users who have already got iPhones know that already so let's hope it gets a fair reaction.

It's nice to see they blamed regulation etc and not Apples lack of support for Korean keyboards. Whew slipped that past.

Full article here
    HTTP://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2010/11/30/3/0501000000AEN20101130003100320F.HTML

Cheers

Ps Samsung claimed to have sold 1,000,000 galaxy s models here, I've seen 2 or 3. Coffee shops and stores are full of folks with iPhones. Maybe they gave them to their employees;)

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

AT this point, I would really wait for iPad 2...
    This thing was suppose to come out long time ago. If you want to buy it now, go ahead. My advice is to wait.

Galaxy Tab is not really in competition with iPad. iPad has full support from apple and developers. It also has bigger screen.

Galaxy Tab has absolutely no support from google. When I played with it, I felt like I was playing with Big galaxy S phone.

Better late than never, but if you can afford ipad, then I would wait for iPad 2. I expect new iPad in next 3-4 months.

3. robby818 macrumors 6502a

But will South Korea get the next iPad when it is released or will it trail the U.S. release?

Why wait? You will get a significant amount of your purchase price back when you sell it in a few months to upgrade. And it won't be too hard to sell. :D

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It won't be like 7 months wait. Hopefully not like this iPad

iPad resale value will go down when iPad 2 comes out.

5. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

No, the iPad 2 will I'm sure come here pretty much at the same time as everyone else gets them. Just like the iPhone, long wait for the 3GS only to get the iPhone 4 when it went worldwide.

Problem is though normally I say get it if it does want you want, don't wait. BUT this time I would be I in two minds to buy one now. Firstly they are on a two year contract and secondly secondhand kit doesn't sell too well here. EBay here is nothing like eBay in the US or UK.

Contracts can be reassigned and someone will always buy anything at a fair price, but it's not too easy in this market.

Still got mine so don't have that dilemma!

6. robby818 macrumors 6502a

So you can only get an iPad with a 2 year contract in Korea? That blows.

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

So, when Kim Jong Il warned us of 'the big launch', this is what he meant? :D

8. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Update

The Apple Korea online store now carries all 6 iPad models and the supporting accessories. They were a bit slow off the mark as KT launched on Monday, the Apple site wasn't updated until yesterday.

So you can buy without a contract if you want. From what I can tell from friends here is that they are selling like hot cakes. The base 16GB WIFI costs 640000 Won which is about $550-560.

Just have to wait another week or so before the media start the anti Apple campaign and the fake Galaxy TAB sales figures start doing the rounds. :eek:

Cheers