iPad + Lightning : No VGA out ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yaredna, Sep 13, 2012.

1. yaredna macrumors member

For all business users, using their iPad to make presentations in board rooms or in restaurant (pharma / device reps, ...), this could be a huge issue.

It seesm that the new iPhone 5 connector does not support video-out. No VGA-out. No way to put a dongle on your next iPad, and connect it to a projector.

Apple trying to sell AppleTV more. Fine, works possibly well with TV at home. However, on the road, here is what you will need:
    . AppleTV
    . Wi-Fi router (I rarely have access to same network iPad and AppleTV when on the road)
    . Power cable for AppleTV
    . Projector with HDMI - in (Good luck finding one on the road)

You'd better stick with the iPad2 or new Ipad forever, and not upgrade if that's the case. I think the smart guru's at apple don't care about business uses of iPad. Keep gamers and kids buying the gadget, and screw business travelers.

I thought I should share this concern, even though an iPad/Lightening connector has not been yet announced.

2. Techwriter macrumors regular

3. Buckeyestar, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

You're going to have a projector in a restaraunt?

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm guessing that there will be Lightning to HDMI and Lightning to VGA adapters in the near future.

If they can do Thunderbolt to Firewire and Thunderbolt to Ethernet for $29 then those should be no problem.

5. yaredna thread starter macrumors member

It is clear that you are not a traveling businessperson. The number of powerpoint, Keynote and GoodReader business presentation I do regularly in restaurants are too many to count.

Maybe you don't know, but:
    . Most restaurants have private rooms that you can book for 6, 8, 10 or 20 people
    . These restaurants will provide a screen
    . They can rent a projector, or you bring your own. Most often, I bring a small one, to ensure that the connectivity is set. A small InFocus or Epson projector is plenty enough, most of these rooms have dim lighting anyway

How else can I get 10 to 20 physicians to listen to a presentation about a new product, when their days are full? Invite them to a restaurant, and do the presentation while they eat.

Welcome to our world ...

----------

Let's hope it's true. Cost is not an issue, size and availability are.

----------

The above post states that thunderbolt adapters to VGA exists, it is a question of time for adaptors of Lightning to VGA exist too.

Well, according to Wikipedia:
    Thunderbolt combines PCI Express and DisplayPort into a serial data interface that can be carried over longer and less costly cables. Thunderbolt driver chips multiplex the data from these two sources for transmission then de-multiplex them for consumption within the devices. This makes the system backward compatible with existing DisplayPort hardware upstream of the driver. A single Thunderbolt port supports hubs as well as a daisy chain of up to seven Thunderbolt devices; up to two of these devices may be displays using DisplayPort.[4] Existing Mini DisplayPort adapters for DVI, dual-link DVI, HDMI, and VGA are compatible with Thunderbolt, allowing backwards compatibility and no loss of functionality compared to Mini DisplayPort.

The lightening connector has not video port out, so unsure if the multiplexing could be done / is planned to be done inside the iPad or not.

Could be a huge issue. Let's see...

6. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

All we know so far is the adapter doesn't do lightning to 30-pin connector video out.

7. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

If you can set up ahead of time, can't you just set up an Apple TV and use AirPlay?

8. craznar macrumors regular

No video out would be a show stopper for any future iPad for me.

Turning up and plugging into a TV to run a power point presentation is too easy.

Having to carry around an Apple TV box with me certainly defeats the purpose of a lightweight iPad.

9. yaredna thread starter macrumors member

. How many portable projector have you seen that supports HDMI input ?
    . Let's say I replace my portable projector with one that has an HDMI input (if I find one): I will need to carry, beside my iPad and projector: AppleTV + HDMI Cable + Power cable + Wifi-Router + Router power-brick ... I'd rather instead carry a laptop !
    . Have you tried Keynote + AppleTV ? Have you tried GoodReader + AppleTV ? It is NOT snappy, zooming/scrolling is slower

Do you see the issue ? Basically: carry more stuff for less snappiness. Why would we do it ?

The iPad was meant to simplify our world, while accepting some issues (difficulties to edit powerpoints on it, ...). But that omission just kills it for business users.

Let's hope that I am wrong here ...

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

11. yaredna thread starter macrumors member

12. xArtx macrumors 6502a

Don't let the fact that there are fewer pins put you off.
    They will be internally switched.
    The 30 pin dock connector is fine in a lab environment,
    but should never have been a standard for the consumer device.
    Now if they can just replace the hardware home button I'll be happy.

13. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

It seems to me I have read that the lightning connector is a digital connector- there's a control chip in there. So it stands to reason the pins can send and receive whatever is needed at the time of need. Power, video, pure data is just a matter of a hardware chip telling the pins what to do.

I suppose it's even possible to recharge while sending video.

As for portable projectors that can handle hdmi input- I haven't seen any recently that don't. Even the three year old Dell portable projectors my company issues have it.