iPad lineup for Spring 2017

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Andres Cantu, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Andres Cantu, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016

Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

My guess would be:

iPad mini 4 - $299
    iPad Air 3 - rumored "low-cost" iPad, A9X processor but no Apple Pencil support, $399
    iPad Pro 7.9" - A10 processor, $499
    iPad Pro 10.5" - A10X processor, $599
    iPad Pro 12.9" - 2nd generation, A10X processor, $799

iPad mini 2 and iPad Air 2 will be discontinued.

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The Air 3 is not going to be a thing. I'm not sure that there will be a new 7.9" model in the immediate future either. Based on rumours, it's more likely that with a reduced bezel and no home button a new 9.7" model will in effect be the new Mini while the 10.5" will be the mid sized model.

3. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Well, they're just rumors, but the rumors I've been hearing says the bezel-less ipad will be the 10.5" one. Not the 9.7" one...so not upgrading the iPad mini would be a mistake in my opinion cause the 9.7" ipad will still be a lot larger.

This whole thing just sounds weirder & weirder. A 9.7" iPad AND a 10.5" iPad along with the 12.9"? If the 10.5" will be the same physical size as the 9.7" but with no bezel....then why even keep the 9.7"? Would make more sense to keep the iPad mini, the 10.5" and the 12.9". But hey, what do I know?

4. profets macrumors 68040

Ah, so you're saying that for 3 sizes they would be 9.7, 10.9 and 12.9? I dunno, the 9.7 and 10.9 though could be same physical size. I think we will see a mini in the 7.9 of some sort.

I think the Air nomenclature is done. mini, Air and Pro would have been a nice and simple way to describe 3 different iPad sizes, but it looks like that's not where Apple is going with it.

If they really do a 'Pro' update to the mini/7.9, I guess they'll attempt to have an iPad line and an iPad Pro line (almost like MacBooks and MacBook Pros).

iPad 7.9 (mini 4?)
    iPad 9.7 (Air 2?)

iPad Pro 7.9
    iPad Pro 10.9
    iPad Pro 12.9

I dunno. Either do some very significant features to differentiate the Pro line, or just simplify the damn lineup into 3 recognizable sizes.

I do also wonder, if some crazy new design is coming for the potential 10.9" model, will that design be used on the other Pros as well, or will they stick to the chamfered edge design from 2012?

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I agree with your opinion. Though my thought is that they will have the 9.7 as the air 3 with the updated internals and lack of pro features as an entry price option, the 10.5" I speculate is the updated smaller iPad Pro model (which was originally pro 9.7, but now is the iPad Pro 10.5") it now with a bezel-less design (finally!), and the second generation 12.9" model (I have no speculations on any major updates it would bring). Though with all these, I still anticipate an updated mini with bumped up internals. I'm questioning wether or not it will have any of the pro features or even the force touch from the iPhone.

But time will tell! I'm much more excited for the iPad event than I was for the Mac event for sure

6. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I also wonder about a new design, since the chamfered edges were introduced 4 years ago, and by Spring, it will be an almost 5 year-old design.

7. Math889 macrumors 65816

I think it's time for Apple to drop the iPad Mini 2 . ( the only IPad that Apple currently selling that has 1GB of RAM) . If Apple introduces a new iPad mini (iPad mini Pro or mini 5) .The mini 4 will be the low cost model in the mini Line Up. Or if Apple won't introduce an new iPad mini . The mini 4 will probably be the last 7.9 iPad .

Now, talking about the Air Line Up ,I think the Air 2 will be the last IPad Air .
    And there won't be an new IPad Air . The 9.7 IPad Pro is the IPad Air 3. So, I think the Air Line are done .

Maybe the Air 2 will be dropped from the line up. And the 9.7 IPad Pro will be the low cost model. Or maybe not , The Air 2 will be the rumored 9.7 inch low cost model and the Pro 9.7 will be dropped from the line up.

The 12.9 IPad will be updated obviously (I am planning to get one ). The question is : Will Apple drop the IPad Pro 1 12.9 inch from the line up next year ??

I really don't care about the rumored 10.5 inch IPad . I just want an 12.9 IPad Pro 2!

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Since we're in the guessing mood, my guesses are:

• + iPad Mini Pro (same chassis as Mini 4)
    • - Mini 2 discontinued (Mini 4 becomes the "low end" Mini)
    • + 10.6 iPad Pro (9.7 form-factor with smaller bezels, 3GB RAM)
    • - Air 2 discontinued (9.7 iPad Pro becomes the "low end" regular size)
    • = No changes to 12.9 iPad Pro

9. Math889 macrumors 65816

So , according to you , The IPad Pro 12.9 won't receive a refresh???

10. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I just think that the whole "pro" thing is messing things up with the iPad line. Being able to use the apple pencil & smart keyboard should be features across the iPad line. To me these shouldn't be considered "pro" features but standard features. I dunno. That'd be like having a "pro" iphone. It just seems weird. Cause those are things the average consumer would want. I love ipads. I've switched from using a laptop to using an iPad for all of my media consumption and creative expression. I'm curious to see what Apple is going to do to their iPads at the next update in March(?). It'll be interesting. Besides the 10x chip, and true tone display, what else will they give the 12.9" pro? Will they all go bezel-less? Or will that just be for the rumored 10.5" model? And if they keep the 9.7" model will it still be considered "pro" or be demoted to the "budget" model as some are saying. And what will become of the often forgotten iPad mini which I personally love? Will it get a pro version? Or will it become the "budget" model?...or worse...will it be dropped completely from the lineup? Hmm. So many questions. No matter what, I hope ALL models that are called "pro" get at least 4GB of ram like the current 12.9" pro. The current 9.7" pro has 2GB of ram, and although fast...it has to reload apps when multiple apps are open unlike the 12.9" which can keep more apps open when switching back & forth between them. To me, this is something all iPad pros should be able to do.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

My guess is that there won't be any changes to the 12.9 iPad Pro until the Fall.

12. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

My Version

IPad mini 5 $299
    All iPad airs discontinued
    Based on the amount of accsesories sold and invested the iPad Pro 9.7 will live on
    IPad Mini Pro 7.9" $499 New Colors
    IPad Pro 2 10.5" OLED display $599
    IPad Pro 2 12.9 thinner redesigned $799 4K Resolution standardized (they are having a horrible time with it's nutso resolution) Plus selling a 4K display is way better marketing.

None will have 3.5mm Jack IPad Pro 9.7 becomes the legacy hold back all have Apple Pencil 2 support and Smart Connector for inductive charging

Expect New Colors
    Matte Black, Jet Black, and Ceramic White
    New Features
    Apple Pencil 2 and Smart Keyboard 2, and Smart Connector.
    True Tone Display
    And the OLED and 12.9" will likely support HDR like HDTVs do.

I can pray for Taptic feedback

13. Math889 macrumors 65816

If Apple add 5GB of RAM on the 12.9 Pro 2 I will be very happy!!!!. , but , if it have 4GB OF RAM I will be very satisfied

4GB OF RAM + Quad Core Processor= Perfect Combination!

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Why? Under what usage scenarios will a quad core processor be exploited when using a 12.9 iPad Pro?

It's easy place focus on the spec sheet, but in day to day usage, including working on media creation, I have not seen an issue with 12.9 iPP performance. It is a BEAST of a tablet.

Given the current state of iOS and apps, the current 12.9 iPP still has so much headroom capacity/capability-wise that increasing the hardware will not result in appreciable differences. The emoji-palooza that is iOS 10, supports the idea that no hardware advancement will be forthcoming soon. Had Apple included iPad Pro-specific updates in iOS 10 that pushed the envelope in what the Pro could do, then I would be more optimistic of a Spring'17 update to the hardware.

It currently has the fastest processor and most RAM of all current iPads. (While it is true that SOME of the increased RAM is due to the higher screen resolution, not all of it is. Relatively speaking, there is significantly more usable RAM after accounting for screen buffers than for those smaller iPads with less RAM)

Might Apple provide a spec-bump for the 12.9 in Spring'17? It's possible. I'd be pleased if they did, but I really don't expect that to happen.

15. Math889 macrumors 65816

There will be a refresh in March 2017 . And then , The Original IPad Pro Will be 18 months old . Time to receive a refresh!!!! Honestly, I have been waiting for the Pro 2 since the Originals Pro 12.9 model came out . The IPad Pro 12.9 is a great tablet . However , it need to receive a refresh... The IPad Pro has a excellent processor with 4GB of RAM and dual core processor . But , if it add a quad core +4GB of RAM or 5 it will be even better.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

ok, so no actual reason for the need for improved specs. That's fine. Thanks for the clarification.

17. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I went to the Apple store this week to get an iPhone 6 replaced and we started talking about the iPads. The genius said that the iPad Mini 4 would be dropped (in the spring) in favor of a Pro version with stylus support, 4 speakers, etc.

I was so surprised at hearing a genius speaking about unannounced products that I didn't even think to ask if he was just repeating rumors from the internet or if that was stuff he heard internally.

18. ericwn macrumors 65816

I'm sure no retail employee has any significant information about unannounced products, apart from a personal opinion, which is the same speculation as anywhere else.

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

LOL! There's no way that a retail employee has access to that information. I'm sure he heard from a guy, who heard from a guy, who's a friend of Tim Cook! Some people just like to spread gossip and rumours to make it seem like they're in the know. I would think that Apple Store employees would be trained not to do this though.

20. harriska2 macrumors regular

harriska2

March 2017
    7.9 pro (pencil, etc)
    10.9 pro (no bezel, pencil, etc)

Later in 2017, early 2018 12.9 pro upgrade to something (camera would be nice)

I have the 12.9 and love it. I can't seem to slow it down. sracer is right, it is a beast. PDF Expert and my pencil work really well and very fast together.

21. Math889 macrumors 65816

So, if Apple releases an updated 12.9 IPad Pro in the next fall , it should come with an A11X processor.

It doesn't make sense to release an 12.9 Pro in the next fall . Apple,will release one IPad (10. Inch ) with A10 X processor.

6 months later
    iPad Pro 2 with A10X processor. It Would be weird t
    I think that the Pro 12.9 will come in march . No exceptions

22. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

My question is, at what RAM amount do they decide to majorly update iOS's RAM management to be closer to that of a Mac? I have a feeling we'll see either 4GB again or maybe 6GB in this year's iPad, but outside of being able to open large files/work on complex production tasks, additional RAM (6-8GB) will be wasted for a lot of users due to the way that iOS apps work.

23. Math889 macrumors 65816

Is there a chance that the next iPad Pro will feature OLED display ????

24. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I doubt it .. I think the iPhone will get it first before the iPads