IPad linked with sons

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Flymouse, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Flymouse macrumors newbie

Ok my iPad is linked with my sons since he set it all up. If I save things to iCloud will both of our stuff be saved all together or do we have separate iCloud storage?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

If you mean linked as in you used your AppleID to set it up and to purchase apps, then iCloud will recognize it as your information. As such, it will all be saved together.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you mean iCloud backup, each device has a separate backup. For example, I have an iPad and an iPhone, so if I go into Settings > iCloud > Storage&Backup > Manage Storage, I see two backups, one for my iPhone and one for my iPad.

4. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

By connected I mean

When we purchase an app it is all at one place so if son buys it and I want it to I don't need to repurchase I just go to app and download it. It is set up as if both iPads are his. It is a big mess cause hubby bought this one off amazon for sons birthday . It said shipped but never arrived (it was used not new) so he cancelled it and bought one from wmart. Few days later this one arrived so I got it as a late anniversary gift. Just so you don't think we are rich, son had to pay 3/4 of his. Grin

5. RedCroissant Suspended

Then in answer to your original question, the only thing that will be different are the individual backups performed when syncing the different devices with iTunes. Other than that, all other things will be synced in iCloud. So yes, if you purchase an app on one device and since they're all linked to the same iCloud account, all of them will be allowed to have the same apps and other info.

6. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

iTunes

If everything is saved in iCloud. Why do I need to use iTunes?? And thanks for helping me.

7. RedCroissant Suspended

You're' welcome. And iTunes is important for local storage and backups along with being able to customize the layout of each device. The arrangement of the apps and individual sun settings can be different. Also, iTunes match costs extra, and having your own movies in iTunes to transfer instead of having to buy everything through Apple is nice. And if you wanted to do everything over the air, then your data costs would go through the roof.

For example,my iTunes library is 1.25TB. It's mostly movies that I converted from DVD so that I could stream them to my AppleTV. I also use iTunes to sync kids shows whenever we go somewhere that the kids and I will be sitting in the car for a while.

8. Night Spring, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, you don't need iTunes, unless you have more media (video, music, etc) than fits on your iPad.

However, in the other thread, I was telling you to get iTunes because your iPad is jailbroken, and you need iTunes to remove the jailbreak. But once you remove the jailbreak, you never need to use iTunes again, unless you do get more media than your iPad can fit.

In fact, if you know someone with iTunes on their computer, you could just ask to use that to remove the jailbreak from your iPad.

9. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Linked with sons iPad

I thought when I reset my iPad it gets rid of jailbreak??

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What do you need the jailbreak for? Why not just restore it to factory 5.1.1 you won't lose any of your purchased apps.

11. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

iPad reset

I don't. Remember I bought my iPad used and jailbreak was on it. So if I reset it will it get rid of jailbreak. Or do I have to use iTunes to reset it since jailbreak is on it?

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But you said when you tried to update your iPad, it didn't work. That means if you try to reset your iPad, it is likely to fail, also. Worst case, you could end up with a non-working iPad, and if that happens, you'd want to have a computer with iTunes standing by to fix the iPad.

Basically, yes. You can try resetting your iPad without iTunes, but it might not work.