iPad loaded pages disappear on unsleep

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cheeryble, Dec 27, 2010.

1. cheeryble, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

cheeryble macrumors regular

The iPad just came out here in Thailand and happily I just got one.

Here's my first big issue.....
    Suppose I have some pages open in Safari which I might like to read later when I'm outside access to the internet, or simply don't want to increase my 3g bill, or simply don't want to wait for a reload.
    The default seems to be that when I go to the 9 "thumbnail" pages on unsleeping it the thumbnail has the full page in miniature. But on choosing a page it fills the screen then tries to reload. On failing to reload it leaves me with a blank white screen informing me I'm not connected to the net.
    Well this is a pretty useless waste of time. Can anyone tell me how to get round it?

Thanx a lot
    Cheeryble

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

It's standard behavior of mobile safari to keep memory available. You could save for later reading by using good reader save page feature.

Atomic browser is quite a bit better about this but it still happens a bit.

3. Simonkey75 macrumors newbie

Simonkey75

Yeah, Mobile Safari may keep the thumbnail, but it will automatically try to reload the page when you select it - it won't store the whole thing in memory - and if you no longer have internet access then it's gone.

GoodReader - as I say so many times :) - is an absolutely essential add-on for the iPad, esp. for viewing saved webpages offline.

It would be nice, though, if Apple simply added a "Save Page" function to Mobile Safari itself.

4. cheeryble, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm....one would think that merely saving the inactive data from a few pages would use very little resources wouldn't you say?
    I'll try that and someone mentioned the Perfect Browser perhaps that does better.

I regularly keep dozens of tabs going on OSX browsers and will flick between them over following days to consult, re-read etc. then dump as I see fit. Essential.
    Another BIG problem is if I get my stockmarket tradestation up via Browser (there doesn't seem to be a standalone version for iPad and portable trade-ability is half the reason for getting the iPad) I have to go through several security steps to load it up and make my moves. With the iPad Safari on unsleep it reverts to the first step.....out comes the number generator again. Impossible.

thanx to all

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

6. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Thannx for all the help

The Perfect Browser solved the problems also for trading station.

One last thing....
    what's the most convenient way to transfer my iTunes music files and Miro movies from Macbook to iPad?

THANX!