Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
MusicReader is now also available for the Apple iPad:
http://www.musicreader.net/software/musicreader/apple-ipad.html

Looks nice, but to use your own music you need to spend $59 on the desktop version of the software. I may download the trial version just to see what it's like, but I don't think the iPad's screen is really ideal for this. I tried a different app called "Sheet Music Mobile" that will let you use your own files, but it actually practice at my piano, it just wasn't all that practical. When a full page is zoomed out, the music is really too small at a normal viewing distance if you put the ipad on your piano's music stand. If you zoom in, then you have the problem of scrolling around while you play.

Personally, if you were going to use this a lot, you'd want a full page sized screen...

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Here's a free idea: The iPad has a mic. Music sheet software should listen to the player and automagically turn or scroll the page for him/her.

Do you have any idea what would be involved in making that happen?
It's not that nobody thought of it already, trust me.

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
This idea has been around for a l-o-n-g time. The 12" Freehand has been out for quite a while and I think Harry Connick Jr. even has some kind of patent on it filed in the 90's. :)

While I applaud the developers for getting this app out so quickly (as that's the name of the game in iPhone OS app-land), the iPad is a bit too small, reflective (and fragile!) for this in my eyes. Any musician can tell you stories of music stands being bumped and loads of sheet music ending up on the floor. Now we'll be hearing tales about fallen iPad's being shattered during Mahler's symphony #5 and the 2nd oboist getting lost because the WiFi to the central sheet music server kept cutting out.

At least the iPad won't flap in the wind. :D

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Do you have any idea what would be involved in making that happen?
It's not that nobody thought of it already, trust me.
Yes. Good programming skills. Conspiring with whoever figured out speech-to-text. Send me your iPad and $99 to renew my developer license and I'll start working on it for you. As for trusting you? Not until I have the money in hand. ;) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.