iPad - Mac Mini combination

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by redwing88, Feb 23, 2011.

1. redwing88 macrumors newbie

Do you think it's possible to use the iPad as a monitor for the Mac mini? It would sort of fall into the old category of "lugable", but it would alleviate the need for an expensive laptop. Since I bought the iPad, I just don't see the need to drop $2k when a mini would fit the bill nicely.

2. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

then if thats the case wouldnt it be better to buy the mini and one of those new USB monitors that extend laptop displays now? still would cost less.

Seems like a pretty useless idea to me, you need to be at a power point all the time too... and it wouldnt work.. air display requires you to locate the device and click on it.. so how would you do that without a screen? after u locate the device then u can use the ipad as a screen.

Just wouldnt work, and it would be utterly pointless the refresh rate is crap through wifi... and thats another thing.. you need to be on a wifi network that you are capable of controlling... it wouldnt work in a public wifi place I dont think.

3. redwing88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm getting somewhere, I now know that I am a moron with bad ideas, but more improtantly, I now know that the screen won't work as a wireless monitor. However there is this white stringy thing I should be able to use since I'm tethered to a power cord anyhow.

Would a iPad tethered to a Mac mini via the USB cable be accessible as a monitor for a Mac mini?

4. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Not directly, you need to use a software interface like Air Display or a VNC or RDP client. Either way, you'll need a monitor of some sort at first to get everything set up. And, after that, you will always need a shared wireless connection (either Internet for the RDP or VNC clients or a shared WiFi network for air display).

In addition, if your talking about being mobile with the Mini, I believe you will always need a monitor of some sort to get everything started each time you turn it on.

Have you considered running your Mini into your TV, then using a VNC client to access it over the Internet?

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That white stringy thing doesn't transmit display signals. Well, it would if Apple had written drivers for this function, but since Apple hasn't, no, the USB cable doesn't do anything to help you use the iPad as a monitor for your Mac mini.