iPad + Mac Mini or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alvi, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

So i need a Mac very soon, i was thinking to buy a MacBook Pro, but since i am a bit short on money but the MacBook Pro isn't "the lastest one" I have been thinking about some alternatives, one was a High end Mac Mini with Wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse for a total of around 999$ That price is just good for me, after some time I'd buy the iPad till it arrives here in Mexico, i guess that would be late April maybe.
    Another idea was getting a MacBook Pro, i love the MBP but i just don't like that it's specs are worse than the White MacBook (HDD) and it cots 200$, which is quite a lot right now for my budget, i even feel more attracted to the White MacBook because it's cheaper and internally better, however i hate that scratchy body

The Mac Mini means longterm overspending 999$ +Apple Care 149$ + iPad 1599$
    The MacBook Pro means just 1199$ + Apple Care 249$
    The MacBook means 999$ + Apple Care 249$

What's best?
    The Mini, spending less at the begining more at the ending
    The MacBook, spending a total of 1248$ and that's it
    The MacBook Pro, 1368$ + probably some ram and HD upgrades

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Why a $1000 mini?

You can get a 21" iMac for $1000. Faster processor, faster drive, larger drive, more stock ram, 21" screen, wireless keyboard/mouse, etc and no need to upgrade.

Assuming you want a MB/MBP because you want to be mobile?

How about a refurbished 13" MBP?

3. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

You are right and you make a good point, however if i want an iMac i'd get the high end 21.5" one so it turns into my main desktop, but that's again overspending, and even the 1199$ one would stick me on a desk and i want to be mobile, i can't afford an iMac + iPad

We have no refurb store in Mexico :(

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Why the high-end one?

your first option was already a $1000 mini + iPad -- just replace "mini" with iMac.

If you get a 13" MBP -- is that your "main desktop"?

5. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

The low end iMac is 1199$, which is a MacBook Pro price, if i get a MacBook Pro i don't need an iPad, that means i save 499 :)

And the power of the MacBook Pro isn't way lower than the iMac's with the extra, ram, i care about graphics, and they're the same in the Low end MacBook Pro and iMac