ipad & mac mini vs Macbook Pro????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ktmaty, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ktmaty macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am trying to decide what route I should go. I will be purchasing my first mac in the next few days. I am not sure what I should get. I use computers for basic needs, internet, email, some word processing, photos, and music. Please help me understand the pro's and cons to each:

Option #1:
    Get a mac Mini (refurbished or new) and use my current monitor, and also purchase an ipad (3g) for portable use.

Option #2:
    Just get a Macbook pro, and also get a free ipod touch through the education store.

Thank you so much for your help! :apple::D

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

It depends on how much power you need while out. If you don't need a lot of power while out I'd go for the mini and iPad.

3. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Seconded.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Considering the needs you've specified.. I would recommend the MacBook Pro as it will easily handle everything you want it to and you can get an adapter to use it with your monitor..

Pros: Does everything in one single package that you may carry anywhere you want. Connect with your screen and you probably have better performance than the mini.

Cons: No 10" touchscreen. Comparatively less portability and 'flauntability' than iPad!

Happy Deciding!!

5. tangje macrumors newbie

It's a tough decision. If you already have an iphone I'd lean towards the MBP since you can just tether as needed.

If you use a dumbphone then I'd go the iPad&MacMini route.

I find it hard to rationalize paying for two data plans (iphone and ipad).