iPad + Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by phyzorz, Jun 8, 2011.

1. phyzorz macrumors newbie

Thread's probably been created multiple times, but I haven't found much in terms of discussion for the way I want to use the two.

Currently I'm running on a 2006 White MacBook. The thing is decent, a little underpowered for me (I'm an arts user...Logic/Final Cut/etc). I had the chance to play with both the new Mac Mini and the iPad (not the second gen one) and really like both products.

My question is would buying a Mac Mini and an iPad be a savvy replacement for a worn down MacBook?

I've got a 32" HDTV sitting idly when I don't run my Xbox into it, so I thought this would be a perfect fit for the Mini. I was criticized by my fellow Mac enthusiasts and told to get an iMac for the quad core computing, and while I would love to, I just don't have the room to place an entire iMac in my room, and I don't really like the enclosed computer inside the monitor.

I've also had the luck of fooling with my friend's iPad for the past two days. With the recent Keynote about iOS 5 and all the new features coming to the iPad, it seems integration between OS X and iOS is getting tighter. Would having a Mini as a standalone power computer for my day to day needs and an iPad as a ''laptop replacement'' be okay?

I'm personally weighing toward yes, but I'm biased due to my lack of efficient hardware :p

2. blewyn macrumors member

I use a Mac Mini under my 42" TV for watching movies etc and surfing the net. My experience is that the visuals are harsher on the eyes than when using a proper monitor or laptop screen held at reading distance. It's OK for occasional reading etc but I wouldn't want to do any intensive work (such as video editing) on it.

My Mini is the 1.66Ghz model. It's fine for Angry Birds, but I don't think it would be very quick at rendering video.....I suggest you ditch the TV and look at an iMac for grunt work and keep the MacBook for portable/surfing. Is it possible to run the output from an Xbox through an iMac's screen ?