All iPads iPad/MacBook Combo - Which is better for $1700?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dmk1974, Nov 3, 2013.

?

iPad/MacBook Combo - Which is better for $1700?

1. MacBook Air + iPad Air

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. MacBook Pro Retina + iPad Mini Retina

36 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I think I know which way I am leaning, but wanted to get some opinions here. I know some edu and refurb savings can be had on the laptops, but for comparison based on the retail pricing since it's pretty relative.

Option 1 ($1700):
    • 2013 MacBook Air MD760LL/A ($1100)
    • iPad Air WiFi 32 GB ($600)

or

Option 2 ($1700)
    • 2013 Retina MacBook Pro ME864LL/A ($1300)
    • iPad Mini Retina WiFi 16 GB ($400)

Of these 2 choices, which would you get? Thanks!

2. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I'd say it's better to go retina all the way but it really depends on if you will find yourself constrained by the 16gb on the mini. You really can't go wrong with either setup though. Great devices all around.

3. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

Without knowing your intended use, I would vote for option 2. If I were choosing the air, I would forego the iPad and max out the MBA, since the air is light and and portable.

Aren't these types of decisions fun. :D

4. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Oh yeah...sometimes I think I need a different hobby ;)

5. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I'd go with the double Air combo. For me, I'd prefer the 32GB iPad over the 16GB. The iPad Air won't be that much bigger than the iPad Mini Retina. Also if you're on the go, the combined weight is not that big of a problem.

6. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

16gb on an iPad is near worthless these days. Install the Apple apps and a few games and you are pretty much done.

7. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Honestly, I'd find the extra change and try to get the retina + 32GB iPad, as the 16GB is honestly worthless.

However, if this cannot be done, I'd recommend the MacBook Air and the 32GB iPad. The MacBook air is an amazing laptop. Very light and gets the job done.

8. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Doesn't this depend on what you want to do with the laptop and iPad? Personally I would get the Air/Air combo because I need a full size iPad, and an MBA meets my computer needs.

9. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

I have a 2009 macbook and a 2nd generation ipad, planning on upgrading my ipad to an ipad mini around xmas time and giving my ipad to one of my daughters...i voted for the macbook pro with ipad retina!!

10. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I think my "want" is the 2nd option with the retina Mini. I suppose I could save a little and go with the MacBook Air and the higher capacity retina Mini though. Hmmm....

11. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Option 2 > if only for the double retina option.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For *me*, I voted Air/Air combo, because I want my laptop to be as light as possible, while for the iPad, I prefer the larger screen of the 9.7 models. But as another poster has pointed out, this has nothing to do with what will work for *you*, as your needs and preferences are different from mine.

13. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

For what it's worth, I have an Air/Air set up similar to what your looking at (see my specs in my signature). I'm hoping to use the iPad in meetings more than the MBA do to portability and the ability to use the cell connection. I'm still working out way scheme to use to keep all my work synched up, with the iPad's lack of a native Office app being a real pain since my work loves Microsoft to death. I know there's ways around it, but it's a PITA to figure out.

The Air is perfect for notes and web and short memos, though, and the cell connection makes all the difference in terms of usability.

14. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Well, in my household at the moment I have all 4 of the devices listed in the poll. While the larger screen is nice, for my use and portability, the iPad Mini Retina is hands-down the best tablet I've ever used. Sharp screen, fast, and very portable to carry in my jacket pocket or read with on the couch.

For the laptop, I am still somewhat teetering on the MBA vs the rMBP. Mainly because I've not been able to sell off the MBA yet, but have until Thursday to return the rMBP. The screen on the rMBP is sweet of course. But when I have the laptop closed and connected to my larger desktop monitor, the MBA and rMBP in my opinion perform exactly the same (the only differences are the processor and graphics chip).

15. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Air and air... Option 1. 32 gigs in a iPad is an absolute necessity. And I personally like the size of the MacBook Air