IPad& Macbook query

Discussion in 'iPad' started by skj10001, Mar 25, 2011.

1. skj10001 macrumors newbie

After some advise:

I have a 2.5 yr old HP Laptop recently giving me trouble.

Had intended to buy new IPAD2 on release as I mainly just surf the net.

At the beginning of this week [great timing] HP laptop graphics card starts to go... further invesigation revealed its a known fault.

So my predicament is:
    What laptop to replace HP ?
    I was thinking Macbook?
    But combined with an IPAD is this unnecessar/extragavant as I mainly just surf the internet?

I have not owned an apple product before. Was really looking forward to IPAD but now wonder if buying a Macbook will an Ipad be unnecessary or visa versa.

Ps. Ive ordered IPAD on apple.
    At the minute, I would not risk plugging an IPad into Hp laptop as it is very unpredictable and would not risk frying it!

So two apple products in one week!
    All experienced opinions welcome.
    thanks

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You might look into a Macbook Air. It would be good to have one for iTunes if you ever want to buy movies or tv shows from iTunes (finite iPad storage limit). You also need a computer to update the iPad software and run the occasional backup. Take a look at Apple's refurb site (HERE) for some good discounts on computers.

3. skj10001 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for info.

Had it all worked out- could use ipad mainly for surfing then hp laptop for stuff ipad cant do.

Now that plans out the window!
    Dont ant to buy a macbook and not get very much use out of it cause ive also got an ipad.

Would like to buy ipad close to release to get max usage of this model.

If my heart set on ipad2, concerned if i buy cheaper laptop ill end up replacing in a year or two.

Does anyone have both and main useage is surfing and gets good usages out of both devices?

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I sold my 2010 Macbook Pro and got my iPad. I used my laptop mainly for media and web browsing, both of which I can do 100% with the iPad. I have a desktop (iMac) at home for documents, full iTunes library, and some programming/web design. If I were in your situation, I would purchase a netbook-type computer (Dell, HP) and an inexpensive external portable hard drive. Then, you can have a full library as well as 'real' program support without losing portability.

5. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

I do not think an iPad is equipped to be your only computer (as a previous poster mentioned you need to connect to a computer to update, and there is limited storage on your iPad).

If you really are not using your computer for anything other then websurfing & internet then get another PC rather then a mac. I am a huge apple fan, but right now the cheapest Mac you can get is a Mac mini which will run $700 and you will need a monitor. you can get a cheap PC laptop for <$600. Mac computers are great (I have used them for years) and they work very well, but they are not the cheapest option. If what you need is a computer that can back up your ipad and surf the web and nothing else, go for inexpensive.

just my 2 cents
    -spg

6. Skika macrumors 68030

I think a macbook and an ipad are a great combo. I have them both, and ipad is great for web browsing, media consumption and goes with me almost everywhere, where the macbook is its awesome home docking station where what i want to sync to it gets selected. And if you want to do some more serious applications the macbook comes very handy, and its also portable so you can take it anywhere and continue work there.

7. skj10001 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the replies.

My purse/wallet is telling me the logic cheaper netbook or laptop and ipad2 combo is the way to go.

But i keep getting this feeling if i invested in a macbook id hope it would service me for years to come and probably outlive the ipad.

If this ipad had not been released and my hp had died i 95% replaced it with a apple macbook.

I guess there is no correct answer!
    But all opinions welcome... keep them comming!

8. skj10001 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I think you'd be most happy with an 11 or 13" Macbook Air first and the iPad secondary to that.

I have both and love my iPad2 but the Air is more useful in most respects.

10. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I think this is the best advice of all. Based on your usage I think Skika has it nailed down. My only advice is to wait on the macbook purchase as they should be due for a refresh since its almost been a year.:(

A referb can be picked up for cheap and you may even consider an entry level 13" macbook pro for an extra $100.

I don't advise a macbook air only from the sense that you seem to really watch your budget. However the macbook air is a sweet machine.:D

11. ppark macrumors newbie

I'd suggest a MBP and an iPad as well. The MBP may only be $100 more than the standard MB, but you get a lot for that extra $100. The MBP also has better battery life than the MBA (the 11" model at least).

I plan on doing this as well; iPad for everyday non-intensive things when "on the road" and a MBP at the home/workplace. If tasks get "too much" for the iPad, then I'll take the MBP on the road.