iPad + MacBook vs MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newmacboyoutube, Dec 12, 2010.

1. newmacboyoutube macrumors member

I have a MacBook 2.13GHz already. Should I get an iPad to complement it, or a MacBook Pro?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The obvious question is "Why do you need something different in the first place?" What is leading you to believe your current machine falls short?

3. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

A big theme on these boards is "why do you need a new machine? yours is adequate".

That's true, but what's wrong with wanting something new?

With Mac's I can understand because the design has stayed fundamentally the same for awhile, but if your on a whitebook, theres a definite draw to a unibody aluminum mac.

To answer your question, are aesthetics important to you? If it's horsepower, what are the specs of your current machine vs the pro your looking at?

Do you see yourself using the iPad for apps ect?

The iPad really is easier to justify since it's essentially a new experience, the Pro will be what your used to only (likely) better in most regards.

So really, the question is, Upgrade(MBP) vs. Expand (iPad).

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The real question seems to be 'do I want an iPad'. A MBP will just be a new version of what you have. Is there a need or strong desire to also have an iPad? If not then the second question is 'is the MB doing it for me or do I need a upgrade?' Only you can answer those questions because individual needs vary. I'm a happy MBP kind of guy ;)

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

OP with what you have told us the only thing I can advise is what I would do. I would get the iPad, but I have no idea weather you need a FireWire connection, or more memory, or a bigger/better display, or a better GPU etc. Though I have the feeling that the iPad would add greater value than the MBP. If it is just a case of money blowing a hole in your pocket definitely get the iPad.

6. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Apple Pie or Pumpkin? ...Both, please :D

In all seriousness, I agree with the others in that we don't know your needs and can't make a decision for you. If your current MacBook fits your needs, then get the iPad. If Final Cut is getting too laggy on your MacBook, get the MacBook Pro.