iPad/macmini or MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miketheg, Apr 5, 2011.

1. miketheg macrumors newbie

I am in pretty dire need of a new computer. My 4 year old Dell laptop is on death's door, and I'm ready to make the switch to OS. 90% of the time, this computer will be used for internet, videos, syncing my iPhone/iPod, stuff like that. Once in a while I may need to do some work in Word and Excel, and maybe some light gaming. So I'm trying to decide between getting the basic 11-inch MBA, or getting a refurb MacMini and an iPad 2. I've got an HDTV in my room that I could plug the mini into, so I wouldn't have to spend any extra on a monitor. Just a keyboard, and I'd be set. So cost-wise, it's close enough to the same to not make a difference.

Basically I'm just wondering, for what I need this for, is this a legit option? Or am I just blinded by my intense desire for an iPad 2?

2. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I cast my vote for the Mini and Ipad 2. Mini is a very capable computer, and the Ipad 2 is...well, it's an IPad!!! It all depends on how much capability you want in a portable machine. If you are used to hauling a laptop around and having all of its capabilities, then the IPad might not quite be what you need. But, clearly, the Mini will handle what you want a computer to do.

3. miketheg thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't actually hauled this laptop around for quite some time. It's big, and the battery died about a year ago and I've been unwilling to buy a new one for a computer I hate. So it's not like I'm used to having some super powerful portable computer. Most of my real work is done in my office, on my work computer.

I guess I'm just hung up on two issues. First, why buy two devices when I can buy one? Secondly, what will the resolution be like on a 40" 720p screen? Will I be able to get work done or will it look grainy?

4. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

I recently had the same decision to make! I had a MacBook air 11" (ultimate) and an iPad 1. Seemed pointless having the 2, especially as I have an apple tv and watch a lot of iTunes content from the mac (a pain having to turn the air on everytme!)

So I sold the air and the iPad 1 and bought a mac mini (which I upgraded to 8GB ram) and bought an iPad 2 3G. This is the perfect setup, have the mac at home for all normal 'computer tasks' and the iPad for on the go. If I need to access any file on the mac I can access it remotely via teamviewer.

So I'd day definitely go for that setup! It works well for me...

5. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad 2 and I must admit that it is not a computer alternative. I use my Macbook Air and Macbook Pro for everything except watching TV or reading the news in bed. There is no MS Office for iPad, you could get iWork of course, but I recommend the Air or Mac Mini. To me the iPad is a great product for TV or reading in bed, but not a computer alternative. You won't be able to watch Flash videos easily with the iPad either. You can however with a jail broken device or the SkyFire application.
    I would go for a Mac, but the choice is really up to you.

6. bsamcash macrumors regular

Well, I have a Mac mini, and I plan on buying an iPad 2 when more come in. So there's my vote!

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd go with the MBA. As someone who loves portability and being able to bring my electronics with me wherever I go, the macbook air is a great option. I recently came from a netbook to my macbook and love it; I initially looked for a MBA but they were over my price range.

I scored this MacBook online for a great price and here Iam now. I had the iPad one last year and sold it a few months ago because I just felt that it couldn't do everything I needed it it. Also the lack of flash really kills the experience for me.