Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Maybe run all magazines under a single App that allows lots of creative freedom with the presentation component. Apple could produce the App and the Magazine store like iBooks.

Right now the Magazines remind me of the App Book category. It is messy.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I believe that the iPad is a great medium for a magazine. But, most of the current offerings in the app store has got it all wrong. I don't want a iPad magazine to look like a adventure game, often the layout is to confusing and many publishers try to cram in as many "multi media" functions as possible. A iPad magazine should be similar to the printed version with sparse use of rich content where it adds value to the article. Good examples of successful iPad magazines is the British car mag EVO and the Swedish daily "DI+", poor examples are "The Project" and "Wired" (messy layout and to much rich content).

Also, untill Apple does something about it's pricing in the app store the magazines will be to expensive to really take off...

This.

The biggest reason that magazines on the iPad are failing is because of PRICE. Whey would anyone pay the same or more for an iPad version of a magazine? If I'm going to pay full price then I'm going to buy a physical copy, to keep on my bookshelf. Having an electronic version should cost less and they need to offer a subscription to it for less than the paper version.

I also prefer most of my magazines in print. I subscribe to Car & Driver, Road & Track and some RE/Building trade magazines. I'd rather have the RE/Building magazines as physical copies because they sit on my bookshelf for easy reference. I also prefer car magazines as physical copies as I tend to keep them.

Now magazines which I normally would read and throw out I wouldn't mind getting on the iPad to save trees and going to the store for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.