iPad Mail app- deleting emails causes older mail to pop in

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DJinTX, Apr 11, 2011.

1. DJinTX macrumors 6502

So my wife just got a new iPad2. She loves it, but mail is behaving unexpectedly. She doesn't remember this happening before, but yesterday she told me that deleting mail wasn't working, that it kept coming back into the inbox.

So I did some testing, and the individual emails she was deleting weren't coming back. Rather, once she deleted an email, mail was then loading in an older email. I can only guess that mail wants to keep a certain number of emails in the inbox at all times. Is this correct? It seems weird to me because my iPhone doesn't behave this way.

So, first off, can someone confirm that this is normal behavior for mail on the iPad2?
    Second, if this is normal, is there a way to change a setting so that it doesn't load in older emails after deleting emails in the inbox?

2. Julien, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sounds like the older email's were never downloaded to the iPad 2 (Did you have an iPad 1 they were downloaded to?) and they are still on the server. When you delete an email your iPad is looking at the server to load any emails that haven't already been downloaded to fill up the amount (25 to 200) you have set.

Also a "new" iPhone will do this.

EDIT: You can set up one of your email programs to delete the emails off the server (instantly to a predetermined amount of time) and you will never have this problem. However the emails will be gone from the server.

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

It sounds to me that you are using POP to retrieve email. If you are, use IMAP instead. POP is prompt to this kind of issues.

4. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

This happens on one of my email accounts - Comcast.

Comcast is an account that I can't delete from the server (any client I open will download the email as new even is I read and deleted it on my other device.

Not sure if this has something to do with it.

MT

5. Mdifilm macrumors regular

was this a restore? I was having a massive headache with 500 email that didn't want to get deleted, all teh settings were from ipad1 (did a restore) to the ipad 2.

So what I did was I erased all the accounts and re-add it in.

And today, I was having problem with gmail, so I use the mail and went into the gmail acount and erased all junk mail from the gmail account (using the browser) and then it worked afterward.

6. DJinTX thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure this is correct, as it is her first iPad. I definitely don't want to erase anything off the server.

As for the email account, it is Roadrunner, and yes it is POP, not IMAP. I don't know of a way to conver to IMAP, and even if it is possible, I wouldn't want to do it as it sounds like major surgery.

As for the iPad, since she also has an iPhone, we set the iPad up and restored it from her iPhone back up so we wouldn't have to go through any initial setups.

My wife has probably 10,000+ emails on her iMac inbox. So, does this mean that we would basically have to go through and delete all of the emails she has ever received on her roadrunner account before this will stop?

7. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

POP3 was designed in 1988. It was never intended to be used with more one device. It doesn't know how to handle being used by more then one device. For any account a human will use, I'd highly suggest avoiding POP like the plague.

What I would do is get a gmail account. You can have the gmail account suck the mail in from the pop account. If for some reason your very attached to the RR email address you can still have the device set-up to mail OUT with your RR address. The gmail account will also let you sync your contacts and calendar with your mac, and iphone.