Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Are you making music on your iPad?

Using it as a controller or input device?

What apps, interfaces do you use?

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I use tons of iPad apps. Animoog, PPG wave generator, music studio.
There's a Yamaha controller that connects to ableton on the computer really easily.
You can check out some of the stuff I've done in my sig.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I use mine as both a controller & a input device.

I use midi control apps like MidiTouch, TouchOSC, and Lemur to control My Hardware Synths and Samplers and MSSIAH App to control MSSIAH Mid Synthi Cart on my Commodore 64.

For Music Making on the iPad I use apps like Korg iMS20, Magellan, Animoog, PPG WaveGenerator, NanoStudio, BeatMaker2, Sunvox, Electrify, and Auria to name a few.

For a mobile interface I use a 16bit Behringer U-Control UCA222 that's Powered by the iPad. At home I use A 24bit CakeWalk interface that needs external power.

I use a M-Audio UNO midi interface to sync with my Hardware.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
What are the advantages for you of using the iPad over using just a mac?

----------

I use tons of iPad apps. Animoog, PPG wave generator, music studio.
There's a Yamaha controller that connects to ableton on the computer really easily.
You can check out some of the stuff I've done in my sig.

Your sig isn't appearing at the bottom of the post or on your profile ...?

DoghouseMike

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Pianist pro is pretty cool as a ghetto midi keyboard, AC-7 kinda does the same job as Touch OSC, but it looks more like a physical desk/controller. Synth has some pretty good sounds in it too, and/or can be used to control the sounds in your computer via midi.
Garageband can be good for getting ideas down quickly before they vanish, optimal tuner is handy if you have your iPad/phone with you but forgot your actual tuner.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
What are the advantages for you of using the iPad over using just a mac?

----------

Your sig isn't appearing at the bottom of the post or on your profile ...?

My bad, It should be fixed now.

Basically there isn't an advantage besides the weight, and carrying around stuff. iPad's can be used as a sketchbook sort of. It is great for a quick idea, or just messing around with. The apps are the thing that a Mac, doesn't have. They have tons of music making apps, that have insane sounds

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I really hope that Logic X integrates native iPad support. The possibilities are endless.

Im using Garageband as a tool for expressing quick inspiration demos/ideas. I really like to take it outside in the nature and just fiddle down some emotions into melodies.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
How are you exporting from iPad ... Through iTunes in a Mac? Do you finish things off in a Mac? Even the 64 gb iPad hasn't got much storage, so that must be limiting? Unless you are using iPad only as controller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.