Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad Pro set up would work best for you?

  • iPad Pro 11" + MacBook Pro 13" (or Air)

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • iPad Pro 12.9" + iMac 5k

    Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Other; see comments

    Votes: 6 31.6%

  • Total voters
    19

va1984

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
240
398
I am thinking my way through two possible set-ups for the next year, or, well, whenever Apple decides they need to take more of my money:

1) iPad Pro 11" + MacBook Pro 13" (or Air)
and
2) iPad Pro 12.9" + iMac 5k.

I've actually had both set ups in the past (of course with older iterations equivalent models), but I keep switching because, on the one hand, I like that in the first scenario I can take everything with me (and I love the butterfly backlit keyboards which have never ever, in three years, failed me, out of sheer luck) -- while on the other hand the second scenario strikes me as smarter, because the iPad Pro is just a better mobile device than a MacBook (no moving parts, better battery, LTE, etc) and you can't beat editing work on a 5K display.

Right now, I have a 13" MBP and a 9.7iPP. On Wednesday, I'll be the proud owner of a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro. So I am clearly in the middle of a shift between the two systems above.

But I am curious about you. In your situation and use scenarios, if money was not object (isn't that nice to imagine?) what would you prefer? And why?
 

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
898
884
Edinburgh, Scotland
Money no issue? I'd hire people to do my work for me and go and spend all of my days on some remote beach or tour the world on a motorcycle.

In your context? Keep my nMP, maybe get another 34" monitor. It'll do for now.
 

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
562
197
Memphis, TN
I'm currently pairing the 12.9" IPP with a 2017 15" MBP. I have plenty of power for everything that I need, and can chose the best device for the situation. I'm a paralegal, and the IPP+pencil are a great combo for case work. I'm a web designer part time and the MBP handles that very well.
 

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
551
371
Pennsylvania
I currently have a 5k IMac. I want to sell it and buy a new MacBook Pro, but you can’t beat the bang for the buck and of course the 5k display. I’m thinking of pairing it with an iPad Pro too.
 

mzsigler

macrumors regular
May 14, 2015
199
95
Memphis, TN
I have a 2015 5k iMac and a 10.5 LTE iPad Pro which will be replaced Wednesday with an 11” iPad Pro LTE. This setup works great for me, best of both worlds.
 

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
241
110
I am thinking my way through two possible set-ups for the next year, or, well, whenever Apple decides they need to take more of my money:

1) iPad Pro 11" + MacBook Pro 13" (or Air)
and
2) iPad Pro 12.9" + iMac 5k.

I've actually had both set ups in the past (of course with older iterations equivalent models), but I keep switching because, on the one hand, I like that in the first scenario I can take everything with me (and I love the butterfly backlit keyboards which have never ever, in three years, failed me, out of sheer luck) -- while on the other hand the second scenario strikes me as smarter, because the iPad Pro is just a better mobile device than a MacBook (no moving parts, better battery, LTE, etc) and you can't beat editing work on a 5K display.

Right now, I have a 13" MBP and a 9.7iPP. On Wednesday, I'll be the proud owner of a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro. So I am clearly in the middle of a shift between the two systems above.

But I am curious about you. In your situation and use scenarios, if money was not object (isn't that nice to imagine?) what would you prefer? And why?

there is actually one question to answer here. do you need the features (power, ports, mouse support, etc) of the MBP on the go? because if you dont, obviously option 2 is better.
 

va1984

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
240
398
there is actually one question to answer here. do you need the features (power, ports, mouse support, etc) of the MBP on the go? because if you dont, obviously option 2 is better.
In my case, no, 95% of the time the iPP/iOS will be enough. For the remaining 5% I'll need MacOS, but not necessarily in laptop form. One advantage of the laptop though would be the keyboard, which remains the iPP only hardware fault in my mind...
 

mzsigler

macrumors regular
May 14, 2015
199
95
Memphis, TN
In my case, no, 95% of the time the iPP/iOS will be enough. For the remaining 5% I'll need MacOS, but not necessarily in laptop form. One advantage of the laptop though would be the keyboard, which remains the iPP only hardware fault in my mind...
I prefer the iPad Pro keyboard to any laptop keyboard Apple has made after 2015.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BWhaler

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
1,522
377
I still need/want a laptop in my life. There's something about being able to type away on the keyboard while sitting on the couch, opening as many tabs as I need.

For me, it may sound ridiculous, I need a MBP for intense work and a larger screen, a 12" Macbook for travel, and an iPad for games/media/travel.
 

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
2,202
1,248
I've got a gaming pc that does any heavier lifting I might need to do and I have a macbook pro that sees little to no use. I'm pretty sure I am going to sell the MBP and buy an 11" pro to be my only mobile computing device.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.