iPad, MBP or MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hansiedejong, Mar 14, 2010.

1. hansiedejong macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm going to buy my first Apple computer. It will be a laptop. Only i don't know which apple laptop i should buy. I'm doubting between the MacBook Pro, the MacBook Air and the iPad.

I only surf on the internet, check my mail, work with Office for Mac 2008, iTunes, YouTube and that's it. Playing games I do on my PS3. I just want to use my laptop in the house: on my desk, on my bed and on the bench in the living room. I will take my laptop 4/5 times in a year to another country (during holiday). So i'm doubting between the iPad, the (new) MBP and the MBA.

Which is handy for me: taking trough the house and take with me to other countries (by car / airplane) ??

BTW: I don't really like the white color of the normal MacBook, I really prefer the aluminium color of the Pro/Air.

iPad, MBP or MBA?

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

3. Dae macrumors regular

Dae

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

For light browsing and such that you do the iPad will work well. Do you have another computer to act as a primary machine?

5. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Why didn't I think of that?

6. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

I think you are mixing things and don't realize what your requirements really are.

The MBA is a lightweight notebook but far away from a primary machine, specially with the cost/performance relation.

The iPad would be nice, but right now is more a luxury device than a useful one.

For the weight and power that has inside, i'll bet for the 13'' MBP. If you have money, go for the ssd one ! :D

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Office: Mac will not run on an iPad. You can read Office attachments in an email, but that's it. The iPad is not a "Tablet PC," if you will, it's just a tablet, more than an iPhone/iPod Touch, but less than a laptop.

Now, if you're able to move from Office to iWork, then the iPad may be suitable. If you're anywhere near an Apple Store, I'd suggest you get some hands-on with one before making the decision.

From a price/performance/capability perspective though, a 13" MBP would be more than enough for you, and save some money for those all-important accessories. ;)

8. Macdick macrumors member

Mbp

MBP 15 inch no more no less, if you buy air,ipad, or 13 inch MBP you will regret later! Remember small screen is no good for nothing! and 15 inch is not much bigger. I had 13 inch before so dont make that mistake.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You may not have preferred 13", but the OP may. Or they may prefer 17". I've used the 13" exclusively for heavy business travel and home use for over three years with zero limitations on use, and find that the 15" is a waste of money, desk space and unneeded weight, but that's just me.

Size choice is a matter of personal opinion and need, not established fact. ;)

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Reading your description of how you plan to use this machine, I would opt for the MacBook Air. I have one (first-gen 1.8 SSD) and it is great for using in the bedroom, living room or wherever I want to take it, sitting out on my deck in nice weather, traveling, etc. It is not a heavy-duty machine so I don't do anything like digital imaging and such on it. I primarily use it for web surfing, email, iTunes, YouTube, maybe preparing a document (I use iWork) and that's about it. I have other Macs for doing the heavier lifting, so to speak.

I have reserved an iPad for pickup at my local Apple store and I am anticipating that while it will do some of the things I listed above it won't do them all, and that's fine, as I will enjoy using it for the purpose for which it was designed.

That said, if you will have a need to do something more with a laptop beyond the everyday activities mentioned in your post, such as viewing DVD movies, working on photographic images, downloading images from your digital camera while on vacation, then you should really consider something more robust than either the MBA or the iPad. A 13" MBP would still be small, light, easy to transport around the house, around town, around the country or around the world, while including a few more features than the MBA can offer. It will have the Superdrive built in, for instance. It will also be more easily upgradeable so that you can add more RAM if needed. It will have a firewire port and a couple of USB ports for plugging in peripherals.
    These are also things which should be taken into consideration.

Good luck!

11. hansiedejong thread starter macrumors regular

We all know the Pro's are going to update soon, but when do you guys think the Air will update?

Together with the Pro's?

12. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Your guess is as good as mine on that..... in other words, no idea!

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That's a million dollar question....

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

no get 3 iPads, so you can run 3 apps at a time

15. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18)

Or just wait for a jailbreak (if ever) then run backgrounder and proswitcher (if both are ported over.)

16. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

the iPad is not a laptop, and if you don't have one you will severely limit your productivity.

Macbook air!