iPad micro sim in iPad mini after trimming?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mytran80, Feb 13, 2013.

1. mytran80 macrumors regular

Hi , can anybody confirm if the iPads micro sim card will work in an iPad mini after be trimmed into a nano sim size ? Any answer will be much appreciated , my 3G micro sim card has unlimited data so I can not switch the sim to a 4g nano sim card or else I will loose my unlimited data

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Are you sure you can't transfer it? That would be pretty crappy of your carrier to not switch service to a different sim card. Have you called them?

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

i suspect the issue is the 3g v 4g. not the sim size.

yes a cut down card would probably work but be very careful doing it cause one bad cut and it's game over.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

That shouldn't matter at all. When the iPhone 4S came out, getting a new sim was easy. Data is data. It doesn't matter if it's 2G, 3G, or LTE.

If I had a data plan and my carrier wouldn't give me a new sim, I'd drop them as fast as I could. The problem with cutting a sim is of you mess it up, you'll be getting another one from your carrier anyway.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

From the customer pov sure. But to the carriers, faster connections mean you are more likely to use them and they don't want folks doing that. So nixing unlimited accounts is a way to get you to go to wifi.

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

That doesn't make any sense. If a customer uses too much, the carrier throttles. Nixing unlimited accounts drives people to drop that carrier and move to another, which is what carriers don't want.

For the record, I had unlimited data with AT&T and the plan was moved across multiple SIM cards without any issue. If you have unlimited data, what device you use with it doesn't matter.

7. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

No I haven't but I heard that if you upgrade to 4g then you will loose your unlimited data

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I can't comment on other carriers, but that is not true with AT&T. If it were, not a single iPhone 5/iPad 4/iPad mini owner would have unlimited data.

9. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

The question is will they require me to upgrade to 4g lte if I choose to switch to a 4g nano SIM card from a 3G micro SIM card

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

There's no question. You purchased the LTE device that came with a SIM card inside. All you should have to do is call your carrier and have your data plan moved to that SIM.

Unless your carrier is nuts, you won't lose your unlimited data plan or be forced to upgrade to something you don't want.

Seriously, just call your carrier. They're the only ones that can answer your questions, especially since you haven't mentioned which carrier you use.

11. mytran80 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm with AT&T , I will call them and give it a shot , will update the thread afterwards

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Good deal. You shouldn't have any issues.