iPad microsim in iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by harmeet45, Jul 22, 2012.

1. harmeet45 macrumors newbie

Hi guys wasn't sure where to put this so I put it here.

I have an iPhone 4 GSM purchased from Hong Kong which is factory unlocked, i also have an iPad 2 3G which I use in USA with the AT&T microsim that came with it. Thing is, I want to use my ipad microsim inside my iPhone in USA. It is gsm on ios 6 beta 3 and is unlocked. Thanks in advance if u can help.

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

If you've already set up a data plan for your iPad, moving that SIM card to the iPhone might allow data, but it wouldn't be provisioned for voice/calling.

3. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Here you go - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9z4Ek0LVT0

A video I did a while back about how to do this.

I have been doing this for a few months now - works great - iMessage/Google Voice for SMS and Skype for voice calling - really solid haven't had many issues at all - we are moving towards a data only world - might as well jump to it early :)

Let me know if you have any questions after watching the video.

Tim

4. harmeet45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man it really worked!!! Data works fast and i use skype for voice because i bought skype credit. However since i live in Hong Kong, and i dont require profiles for my SIM card there, should i delete my AT&T profile before i insert my Hong kong sim card?
    Thanks again in advance

5. jaeguyoon macrumors regular

does it work the other way around too? I have an iPhone 4s with unlimited data, and a iPad with 5GB LTE. If I was to put the iPhone sim on my phone to my iPad will i be able to get unlimited data on my iPad?

6. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Not exactly sure how it works over there - the only reason this works is because you are going AT&T to AT&T (same network) - if iPhones come unlocked in Hong Kong it should work - all you would need to do is figure out the APN settings required - thats the best answer I can give you.

If you are going from the same carrier on the iPad to the iPhone it should work - not sure since I haven't used Hong Kong networks.

----------

If you are going AT&T to AT&T then it should - you would need to change the APN to the appropriate one - so you'd be changing from BROADBAND to I believe ATT.NET (not exactly sure you'll need to double check)

7. jaeguyoon macrumors regular

so with the iPhone sim in my iPad (the new one) will i be able to use it with unlimited LTE?

8. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

I'd imagine so - ya never know with AT&T - don't have either to try out with.