iPad mini iPad mini 1 iOS 8, any chance?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MisakixMikasa, Mar 17, 2014.

1. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

With iPad 2 going to be replaced with iPad 4 and iPhone 4S replaced with iPhone 5C 8G, do you guys think Apple is phasing out A5 devices is year? Any chance han iPad mini 1 will get annexed some point and won't get iOS 8 at all?

2. jtre1 macrumors member

Maybe it will get iOS 8. Knowing that they did not decide to replace both The iPod touch and the iPad mini that hold the A5. Surprisingly they also did this last year when they introduced the 5th generation 16GB iPod touch to replace the aging 4th Gen iPod touch.

3. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

I think the chance is high... They are still selling iPad mini and iPod Touch 5th generation. I do not think they gonna phase iPad mini 1 and iPod touch all together before WWDC this year.

4. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

No it hasn't: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone4s

As far as your question -- yes it will get iOS 8, for two reasons: It runs 7.1 with no issues or missing features (usually when a product is on its last iOS update it is missing features of that update and is slow in performance), and iOS 8 is likely to be an optimized iOS 7 with few groundbreaking features. My money is on it not seeing iOS 9, but 8 should be a go.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If the iPad Mini gets iOS 8, the iPad 2 will as well, seeing as they have essentially the same internals and specs.

6. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Apple pretty much ignores specs.

7. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Not necessarily. Think iPad 2. It didn't get Siri.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say it will get it, only because its not that old. The OS may not run buttery smooth on the older and under powered tablet but it will be available for people to upgrade.

I just hope it doesn't automatically get downloaded if those folks don't want it because it may run slow

9. theromz macrumors regular

I don't see them dropping the iPad Mini for a while yet, it won't make sense to drop the rMini too the iPad Mini price point for maybe 2 years. Till then I would expect iOS support with limited feature sets. I would guess they will push iOS9 too.

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That's because the original mini has the extra mic that Siri requires while the iPad 2 does not. I wouldn't exactly be surprised if the iPad 2 didn't get iOS 8 while the mini did, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense either.

Kind of like the 3rd gen iPod Touch didn't get iOS 6 while the 3GS did, but in this case the hardware is even closer.

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

They definitely get iOS 8.. probably a stripped down version.

12. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

iPad mini and iPod touch 5th gen, and the iPhone 4s will see iOS 8. iPad 2 will not as it was discontinued (recently replaced with iPad 4) and it was missing features from 7.0 that the other three aren't. Also iPhone 4 will be discontinued most likely.

13. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

No, the original mini only has one mic - the hole at the top. The iPad mini with retina display has two mics - a hole at the top and a hole on the rear. I know because I own both. And both iPads have Siri.

Also, iPads 3rd and 4th gen feature the same design as iPad 2 (as far as mics) and only have one mic and both got Siri, so it's not the mic that is the deciding factor.

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

I think it could go either way. The iPad 2 was discontinued this year and was sold up until the iPad 4 was reintroduced. So it's possible the iPad 2 could get one last update.

15. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Not likely, this is similar to when Apple discontinued the iPod touch 4th gen in May with the new camera less A5 iPod touch. Right before iOS 7 unveiled in June. This just allows iPad 2 owners more time to upgrade to the 4 or Air before iOS 8. The iPad 2 was introduced in 2011, with iOS 4.3 its time is coming.

16. MisakixMikasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

The main reason iPod Touch 4G did not receive iOS 7 update is because of low RAM (256MB vs 512MB). iPod Touch 4G beards run iOS 6, lags everywhere.

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

18. bronner macrumors newbie

bronner

It has to do with a small upgrade to the chip which greatly improves the noise cancellation. Having two mics is just an extension of this that makes noise canceling even better on new devices.

19. MisakixMikasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I remember that I read somewhere stating that there was a special chip for audio processing to handle Siri. Apparently that the A4 chip and iPad 2 does not have this chip. This could explain why any device after iPhone 4S able to handle Siri.

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Very high.

Historically, if its still being sold as new at the time of the WWDC, will get the update.

e.g. iPhone 4 last summer, iOS7

21. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I know that -- I was responding to the poster who assumed having two physical mics was necessary for Siri.

22. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Huh, fair enough. I thought I remembered that being the reason.