Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Just dusted off an original iPad mini as thought could use for wife when go on holiday.

Max iOS is 9.3.5 which it has. I reset it and all seems to work but it's (understandably) very slow.

I'm wondering wether to trade in and add a little cash to get a mini 2, if it is substantially faster/better.

I know they are both old, I believe mini 2 runs latest iOS, not important but may come with it on, maybe it slows it down too much?

It's only to be used for a couple of weeks for books and video and basic browsing, but was just wondering if it's worth spending a little on to get an improvement. We have a 12.9 but that's for home and too big to take with us.

The mini 1 seemed to get maybe a little better after an hour or two, maybe doing some housekeeping or something?

Anyone still user their mini 1? For what? How do you find it?

Thanks

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Depends on how much you will spend on the upgrade, but the difference between the mini 1 and mini 2 is enormous as it is basically a 2 generation upgrade (chip upgrade from an A5 to A7) and comes with a retina screen (much better for reading since you mentioned that). It is 4.5 year old hardware at this point so it's no powerhouse, but certainly up to the more basic tasks you mentioned. The iPad mini 2 runs iOS 11 better than the mini 1 runs iOS 9, but if you can get a Mini 2 that is still running iOS 10 you're probably better off.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Appreciate that thanks.

We probably have another mini 1 not used so could trade in those and probably get one mini 2 for £30 on top.

Forgot about the screen actually good point.

As I say it'll not be used much just for holiday so unsure really just wondered how much as this mini 1 is slow now

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I would get the iPad Mini 4 over the 2 or 3. IIRC, the internals on the 3 are the same as the 2, just without Touch ID.

I have an iPad Mini 2, and upgrading it to iOS 9 made it unusable. It behaves as if it is out of RAM and is page swapping everything.

iOS 10 made is somewhat usable, but no where near as fast as iOS 8. The iPad Mini 2's battery life is horrible, ever since iOS 9, and has not gotten better under iOS 10.

I haven't upgraded to iOS 11 due to not knowing what it might do to the performance.

If there was a way I could downgrade the OS to iOS 8, I would.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Just dusted off an original iPad mini as thought could use for wife when go on holiday.

Max iOS is 9.3.5 which it has. I reset it and all seems to work but it's (understandably) very slow.

I'm wondering wether to trade in and add a little cash to get a mini 2, if it is substantially faster/better.

I know they are both old, I believe mini 2 runs latest iOS, not important but may come with it on, maybe it slows it down too much?

It's only to be used for a couple of weeks for books and video and basic browsing, but was just wondering if it's worth spending a little on to get an improvement. We have a 12.9 but that's for home and too big to take with us.

The mini 1 seemed to get maybe a little better after an hour or two, maybe doing some housekeeping or something?

Anyone still user their mini 1? For what? How do you find it?

Thanks

If it’s just for books, video and basis browsing and that too only for two weeks, how about a kindle fire instead? I still have my 2014 8.9 HD (I think it’s 8.9 whatever the larger one was back then) and it’s a champ. Pretty sure they’ve only gotten better in 4 years. I believe they’re down to 79 bucks or something. Absolute bargain for what you need it to do.
[doublepost=1527316868][/doublepost]Just checked. The new 8” version is 79. The larger 10” is 149. They’re light and durable and can take serious abuse when traveling. I just chuck mine in a bag with no case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01J...indle+fire&dpPl=1&dpID=41VFbHXt37L&ref=plSrch

Reactions: richwilliams

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Get iPad 6. If not, then Mini 4.
As above don't want to spend that much as won't be used apart from holiday.
If it’s just for books, video and basis browsing and that too only for two weeks, how about a kindle fire instead?
Actually bought a 7" fire a few years ago. Nothing wrong with it tbh, as you say robust. It's just as it's for wife she prefers iPad as that's what use at home. Fire in some ways better as has an SD.

The fire is only used on holiday as well. Think it was £30! So wasn't worried if got dropped etc. May trade this the two mini 1's and get a 2nd hand mini 2?

Last edited:
Reactions: eVolcre

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
I would get the iPad Mini 4 over the 2 or 3. IIRC, the internals on the 3 are the same as the 2, just without Touch ID.
Yep. Agree.

I also would say don't bother w/mini 2 as it might not support iOS 12. Mini 2 and Air are next in line to be dropped from support for new iOS major versions.
I have an iPad Mini 2, and upgrading it to iOS 9 made it unusable. It behaves as if it is out of RAM and is page swapping everything.

iOS 10 made is somewhat usable, but no where near as fast as iOS 8. The iPad Mini 2's battery life is horrible, ever since iOS 9, and has not gotten better under iOS 10.

I haven't upgraded to iOS 11 due to not knowing what it might do to the performance.

If there was a way I could downgrade the OS to iOS 8, I would.
FWIW, I had an iPad Air (which I sold an replaced with an iPad Pro 10.5" thanks to a Staples price match w/Micro Center) and still have my iPad mini 2. Both were on iOS 11. Mini 2 is now on iOS 11.3.1.

They're kinda slow but not unusable, to me.

I test iOS software for a living, and I have a ton of different devices. I intentionally do a fair amount of testing on iPad mini 2 w/iOS 11.2+ since it's the slowest tablet that can still run iOS 11 and it along w/iPad Air have the least RAM of iPads that can run iOS 11. If the app I'm testing gets memory killed by iOS frequently, I will feel it much more/more easily on a low RAM device.

I personally don't like the idea of running on old iOS versions. There are likely many unpatched security vulnerabilities where the fixes will never be backported to old iOS versions.

(I have to keep some devices w/old iOS (e.g. 9.x, 10.x, etc.) versions for testing, but I don't want to be too far behind on my personal devices.)

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Yep. Agree.

I also would say don't bother w/mini 2 as it might not support iOS 12. Mini 2 and Air are next in line to be dropped from support for new iOS major versions.

FWIW, I had an iPad Air (which I sold an replaced with an iPad Pro 10.5" thanks to a Staples price match w/Micro Center) and still have my iPad mini 2. Both were on iOS 11. Mini 2 is now on iOS 11.3.1.

They're kinda slow but not unusable, to me.

I test iOS software for a living, and I have a ton of different devices. I intentionally do a fair amount of testing on iPad mini 2 w/iOS 11.2+ since it's the slowest tablet that can still run iOS 11 and it along w/iPad Air have the least RAM of iPads that can run iOS 11. If the app I'm testing gets memory killed by iOS frequently, I will feel it much more/more easily on a low RAM device.

I personally don't like the idea of running on old iOS versions. There are likely many unpatched security vulnerabilities where the fixes will never be backported to old iOS versions.

(I have to keep some devices w/old iOS (e.g. 9.x, 10.x, etc.) versions for testing, but I don't want to be too far behind on my personal devices.)
Mini 4 is not a consideration purely as won't be used much and the current cost vs benefit.

So in using a mini 2 it seems ok on latest iOS then? The mini 1 runs, and did seem to improve once I logged into my AppleID and after an hour (housekeeping?)

But as the mini 2, as mentioned above, is A5 vs A7 and double RAM surely that makes a difference, but I'm worried that iOS 11 then nullifys this?

So the mini 2 would be no cost upgrade (2nd hand) if trading in two mini 1 and a fire which again only used on holiday.

Thanks

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Mini 4 is not a consideration purely as won't be used much and the current cost vs benefit.

So in using a mini 2 it seems ok on latest iOS then? The mini 1 runs, and did seem to improve once I logged into my AppleID and after an hour (housekeeping?)

But as the mini 2, as mentioned above, is A5 vs A7 and double RAM surely that makes a difference, but I'm worried that iOS 11 then nullifys this?

So the mini 2 would be no cost upgrade (2nd hand) if trading in two mini 1 and a fire which again only used on holiday.

Thanks
Where would you even find a Mini 2? How much does it cost? BestBuy had the mini 4 new on sale a couple of months back for USD229. If you're absolutely set on the Mini .. I'd look at that deal, or perhaps a used one. Is there a market for a used Mini 1? Not sure who'd buy that at this point.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
It's in UK local 2nd hand franchise shops. I agree I wouldn't buy a mini 1 (or mini 2 normally!), But you can trade for money (get less, or voucher get more to buy in shop).

We don't get discounts like US unfortunately, as I say this is a once a year occurance really for using it, and the mini 1 are now doing nothing so thought may as well get a £70 voucher for them while can.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
It's in UK local 2nd hand franchise shops. I agree I wouldn't buy a mini 1 (or mini 2 normally!), But you can trade for money (get less, or voucher get more to buy in shop).

We don't get discounts like US unfortunately, as I say this is a once a year occurance really for using it, and the mini 1 are now doing nothing so thought may as well get a £70 voucher for them while can.
Got it. Go for it then. Sounds like it'd be an even trade, nothing to lose. Mini 2 will certainly be better than the Mini 1, that's for sure.

Reactions: MrMister111

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My wife still uses a Mini 2 to run her daycare business. She tracks expenses, tracks attendance and meals for licensing, ordering groceries, email, and uses it to play music for the kids. She sometimes uses it before bed to watch TV or play a game. It hasn’t slowed down much for her moderate use. She has a ClamCase Keyboard and it works well for her because she can throw it in a purse. If you find one cheap go for it, but it might not get iOS updates by the time iOS 13 comes out next year.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
My wife still uses a Mini 2 to run her daycare business. She tracks expenses, tracks attendance and meals for licensing, ordering groceries, email, and uses it to play music for the kids. She sometimes uses it before bed to watch TV or play a game. It hasn’t slowed down much for her moderate use. She has a ClamCase Keyboard and it works well for her because she can throw it in a purse. If you find one cheap go for it, but it might not get iOS updates by the time iOS 13 comes out next year.

Thanks. What iOS version are you using it on please? Not bothered about updates as say sparely used, and the mini 1's are doing nothing and very very old.

Thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
The iPad mini 2 runs like a dog with the latest version of iOS. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Oh.... Above says isn't too bad. Again the circumstances are that I don't want to spend anything really as only for a couple of weeks and I may as well get rid of the 2 mini 1's

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Oh.... Above says isn't too bad. Again the circumstances are that I don't want to spend anything really as only for a couple of weeks and I may as well get rid of the 2 mini 1's

It's really bad in my experience. I've never seen iOS lag and respond so badly. Same applies to the iPhone 5s running the latest version of iOS. The one thing they have in common is the same SoC (A7).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It's really bad in my experience. I've never seen iOS lag and respond so badly. Same applies to the iPhone 5s running the latest version of iOS. The one thing they have in common is the same SoC (A7).
Sure, it lags. In my experience though, A5 + iOS 9 was way worse. Granted, it's really a comparison of bad vs worse.

nanotoj

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2010
It sounds like you want and need to upgrade and I completely agree it is best to just get rid of the 2 Mini 1’s. Not sure that a Mini 2 would be too much of an upgrade with recent iOS updates though. Having just sold a Mini 2 and traded in an Air to upgrade to the 2018 iPad because both had gotten so slow that I got rid of them while they still had some value.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
It sounds like you want and need to upgrade and I completely agree it is best to just get rid of the 2 Mini 1’s. Not sure that a Mini 2 would be too much of an upgrade with recent iOS updates though. Having just sold a Mini 2 and traded in an Air to upgrade to the 2018 iPad because both had gotten so slow that I got rid of them while they still had some value.

Agree totally. It's just for the travel and not caring too much about it getting knocked/bashed. We have a 12.9" one at home.

Still need to at least trade in these 2 mini 1 either way think for the above value at least

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hmmm, I don't have a mini 2 specifically anymore but I do have an iPhone 5s which I kept around mostly to use as an iPod to control my Sonos speakers. The 5s seems to run fine on the latest iOS (yes it occasionally has momentary lag but definitely not enough to render it unusable, it still feels fairly responsive most of the time). That said it was set up with a clean install and has pretty minimal apps on it so not much for background activity so that probably helps.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Agree totally. It's just for the travel and not caring too much about it getting knocked/bashed. We have a 12.9" one at home.

Still need to at least trade in these 2 mini 1 either way think for the above value at least

The thing is, speed and tolerance of slowness is a subjective thing. You can’t really just go with what people say on the internet.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
True as long as it plays video without stuttering it should be ok. Rest is just books and surfing
Video playback is mostly a function of dedicated silicon for hardware decode acceleration. As long as the codec/profile is supported, then video playback should be fine.

Now browsing/searching for videos, I remember that being frustratingly slow on an iPad 3 on iOS 8+. Once the video starts playing though, it's smooth sailing.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.