iPad mini iPad Mini 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nviz22, Nov 29, 2013.

1. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

I have several questions regarding the iPad Mini 1. Is it worth buying still? The resolution is a turn off since the print is really bad, but I cannot afford the iPad Mini w/ Retina Display as I just bought a PS4 and a bunch of games. Is it worth going from a Nexus 7 2013 to an iPad Mini? I miss my iPad 4 for sure. Does it still get a ton of iPad apps?

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

3. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

If you already think "the print is really bad" then you're not going to be happy with the purchase. Stick with the nexus 7 2013 for now, and save up for a new iPad Air or retina Mini if you want back into an iPad.

4. v0lume4, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I agree with the above poster. You already have the 2013 Nexus 7. That's THE tablet to get aside from an iPad mini. I'd save, and just be patient for say a month or two, then splurge on the rMini. You'll be glad you did.

5. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I just bought an iPad Mini first gen for our 14 year old. It was $100 cheaper than the rMini and Best Buy gave us a $100 gift card on top of that. It was way worth it for us. I may be selling my 1st Gen Mini to fund a rMini in the next few weeks.

6. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I had the Nexus 7, although the 2012 version, and I wouldn't want to go back from my iPad mini.

I believe even the old Nexus had a better screen resolution than the Mini, but I still prefer the iPad Mini screen. It's glossier, and more vivid - it also provides a lot more screen real estate, seeing as it does not have the on-screen-buttons. Moreover, the Mini just works, all the time - with all my devices. My Nexus took forever to charge, and suffered from its shares of problems.

The only two things I miss about the Nexus 7 are the flash-playing abilities and the option to install uTorrent.

The screen isn't super - but it isn't as bad as some people make it sound. But if I were you, I would probably save up some money and get the Retina. If you plan on keeping it for a while, the Retina will be worth it. It's better to wait a month or two and buy the Retina, than buying the normal one now. However, the normal iPad Mini is a better experience than the Nexus 7 IMO (many people will probably disagree, but I've used both extensively now, although not the 2013 model of the Nexus).

7. sim0n macrumors member

First gen mini is definitely worth buying, I bought mine after the retina was released, suppose it just depends on what you use it most for, the a7 chip in the retina would be great for playing games and a faster experience, but for general usage the first gen mini is perfectly fine. Also the screen isn't as bad as people make out unless you do a lot of reading

8. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I play some games like Temple Run 2. No graphics power hogs and I use Notability when I had my iPad 4 for note taking in class.

9. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

If you compare Nexus 7 2012 with iPad mini, then yes, iPad mini is better choice. If you compare iPad mini with Nexus 7 2013, then Nexus 7 is better bang of bucks. Even if you compare with retina iPad mini, Nexus 7 2013 provide better screen and cheaper price point.

For OP, if you really want stick into Apple, then I suggest you wait to buy iPad mini retina. It is not wroth to buy Nexus 7 first then buy iPad mini retina again. If you want Nexus 7, then go for it. Nexus 7 is worth every cent

10. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I miss my Noteability, but I cannot afford more than $250-$300, so my only hope for a retina display is the iPad 3. What about the Dell Venue 8 Pro vs the iPad Mini 1?

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's a little like Apples and Oranges. One runs full Windows 8.1, the other iOS. It depends on what your needs are.

12. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I need something for class, but I also like to use my tablet for iMessaging(when I had the iPad 4) or communications, social networking, photos, Chromecast, games like Temple Run 2, functioning with my PS4 games, etc.

13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

14. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I don't think they make such a thing. You'll have to make some adjustments and prioritize. iMessaging and Chromecast? Maybe Apple TV instead. Not sure what functioning with PS4 games means.

Make a list, prioritize what's most important to you, and choose accordingly.

16. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I don't think that messaging OR chromecast work on the Apple TV. Chromecast I think all you need is the program that runs chromecast and a tv with HDMI.

He/she can download the chromecast app on their iPad to control it on their tv.

[​IMG]

Maybe he/she means using the PS4 controller via Bluetooth? (I'm assuming, I have no idea also).

17. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

The playstation 4 app allows me to use a phone or tablet for various stuff like watching friends play or as a second screen. Some games have android and iOS apps to use with ps4 games.