Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad mini, iPad 2 (2011), iPad 3 (2012) pricing

• Total voters

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You guys keep saying Apple will compete on price, but name one product line where price is the priority in the history of the company...

The cheap iPod shuffles. The iPod line has had a variety of price points and models for all types of buyers. Just because they haven't done anything like that with some of their now more mainstream products doesn't mean they won't.

And of course, there will still almost surely be an "Apple Premium" on any iPad mini (my guess is $50 - $100 more than current 7" competitors).

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The cheap iPod shuffles. The iPod line has had a variety of price points and models for all types of buyers. Just because they haven't done anything like that with some of their now more mainstream products doesn't mean they won't.

And of course, there will still almost surely be an "Apple Premium" on any iPad mini (my guess is $50 - $100 more than current 7" competitors).

Competing with what device on price? Nothing.

Offering low price, entry level devices is not the same as competing on price with existing products.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No way do I see an iPad mini priced at $199. I think it will be $299 for 16GB. The iPad 2 stays at $399 and the iPad 3 at $499.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a base 8GB model at $249, for those that just want to use it as a browsing device and could care less about storing a bunch of stuff on it.

atpatter

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
There is no way the iPad Mini will have a retina display. It will have the same resolution as the iPad 2 and since it won't have retina it won't cost $300. My guess is $200-$250 like all of the other tech rumor sites suggested.

I know us Apple fans would would love to see retina on the Mini but the cost would be too high. That will be a feature Apple works on for a future update that is probably 2 or 3 years away. In the mean time, Apple will sell millions of Minis to everyone that is craving that form factor.

I for one am looking forward to 7.85 inches, even at the iPad 2 resolution. It will actually look better than the iPad 2 since the screen will be smaller. It will give me the portability the current iPad is lacking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.